General Care Discussion :: Get Rid Of the Gravel!!!!! ~ Really

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:04 am   

They eat it i never knew it before but I have black sand and now orange gravel is in my tank from 2 weeks ago when they were in my other tank its 100% true they eat it
Raising turtles is very rewarding..
1981camaroz28

Post Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:22 pm   

yeah seriously
JessieBabe

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:50 am   

At last after almost a month it stopped. NEVER USE GRAVEL
1981camaroz28

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:22 pm   

Some tiny pieces of black gravel (about 10 pieces) snuck in my tank with some aquatic plants...I found the gravel and took it out about 5 hours after I put the plant in...I found a piece of gravel in Donatello's poop today. Luckily, it's so small, I'm not worried about her ability to pass any more that she may have swallowed.
jes
powerofvoodoo

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:09 pm   

i use marbles for my 5 inch turtles. marbles dont seem to fit in their mouths at all. they dont even notice them unless they play around with them which is what they do mostly. now they know not to eat them and only to eat on whats floating in the water which is mainly turtle pellets and all
im a true slacker but when it comes to family, my slacking mood becomes a black force 24/7

pets: 2 red eared sliders
small fry (male) and kitty nails (female)
blackforce247

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:01 pm   

Now that's a great idea I never thought of marbles I have to see it holds up with Algae. I am going to try it this weekend. Thanks for the tip

blackforce247 wrote:i use marbles for my 5 inch turtles. marbles dont seem to fit in their mouths at all. they dont even notice them unless they play around with them which is what they do mostly. now they know not to eat them and only to eat on whats floating in the water which is mainly turtle pellets and all
1981camaroz28

Post Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 3:21 pm   

penelope,

Thanks so much for posting about this!!!! When we got a new aquarium a few months ago, my husband put gravel in the bottom...I had already bought river rocks but he didn't realize that. Anyway, I had read that they sometimes eat it and that it wasn't that grand of an idea to use it, but I've been soooooooooooooo lazy and haven't gotten around to getting it out. :oops:

I'm actually in the middle of cleaning Franklin's tank today and I'm going to bite the bullet and get it out now. Your post was a very good reminder of what can happen, so thank you!!

Take care,
Amanda
slidermama

Post Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:18 am   Yeah...I know...

Norma was doing the same thing, we suspected. We actually came to this particular website to ask if it was possible/dangerous. Whoever answered us (this was a while back) said there was no way my turtle could be eating her rocks.

Well, even a few weeks after changing to river rocks, we were still finding small pebbles (they were a distinct blue color...hard to miss). She's finally done passing stones.
norma

Post Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:12 am   

I got gravel from my driveway and cleaned it and put it in my tank, but the smallest one is about the size of my thumb.
:wink: Image
1.0.0 RES-Slash
1.2.0 Cat-Abby/Cali/Nemo
0.1.0 Yorkie-Lucie
1.0.0 Jack Russell Terrier-Cooper
I have lots of ideas! Trouble is, most of them suck!
PcBuilder14

Post Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:42 pm   

I'm so glad I had my gravel removed :D
4 RES Babies - Precious, Angel, Sweetie, and Butters
1 Spiny Softie Baby - Noodles
4 Paddle tail newts - Sock, Spot, Dots, and Rex
ChocoTurtle

Post Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:28 pm   wooow!!!

Thanx.... for letting me know about it. I didnt even think that my two baby turtles could be eating the gravel....
kittykat

Post Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:30 pm   ?

I have these 2 baby turtles they are less than 2 inches long..... i dont think they can eat that yet.... am i right????
kittykat

Post Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:58 pm   

It doesn't matter the size there is always a chance. Remove it
1.0.0 RES-Slash
1.2.0 Cat-Abby/Cali/Nemo
0.1.0 Yorkie-Lucie
1.0.0 Jack Russell Terrier-Cooper
I have lots of ideas! Trouble is, most of them suck!
PcBuilder14

Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:33 pm   

I have these heart shaped marble things in the bottom of my tank. They add some visual interest to Tortuga's tank and she seems to love to wake me up at 3 am by flinging them around....lol. At least she can't eat them.
My Pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard, and they're like you wanna trade cards? Darn right, I wanna trade cards, I'll trade this but not my Charizard.
Tortugasmom

Post Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:39 am   I heard that they only eat colored gravel

i heard somewhere that they will only eat colored gravel and you are safe with plain white or black. am i correct or is my turtle going to eat gravel. BTW please check out my post in the forums i need help!!!!
omgTURTLES!
airhead314

PreviousNext

Return to General Care Discussion