Urgent Care :: Diarrhea

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:54 pm   Diarrhea

My turtle has been having Diarrhea for quite some time now. :( I'm wondering if its the diet.
Winvin8

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:53 am   

Too much lettuce can do that. What and how much are you feeding?
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:09 pm   

The Diet is Fish, Food Sticks, etc
32 Fish
2 RES
2 Algae Eaters
Winvin8

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:09 pm   

Diarrhea (and you said your turtle's was prolonged) can be a sign of intestional parasites or a bacterial infection in the intestine. In another of your posts you jokingly (I hope) said your turtles were toilets for your fish and that you fed them ones that died. I would stop doing this, since they're definately not toilets, and feeding them dead fish can't be healthy. Goldfish (if that's what you give them) are especially prone to having parasites, but any live prey (or ones that have died) can potentially have them.

I would take your turtles to a reptile vet with stool samples to have them checked for parasites and/or bacterial infection. If they do have something, the vet can prescribe a drug to rid them of it (I wouldn't try on my own since you don't know what the problem is).
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:03 pm   

It was before I started to feed them fish. Most of the time they get fish that are almost dead.
32 Fish
2 RES
2 Algae Eaters
Winvin8

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:27 pm   

It's possible your turt had parasites to begin with but there were no symptoms. A vet would most likely be able to tell from a culture what the problem is.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:14 pm   

Thanks
32 Fish
2 RES
2 Algae Eaters
Winvin8

Return to Urgent Care