Urgent Care :: What happened to the mini RESs?

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:45 pm   What happened to the mini RESs?

Hello all,

I just registered because I am saddened over what happened a couple days ago to my friend's red slider turtles. They are the miniature ones, about 1.5 inches and I have been taking care of them for a month. I feed them food pellets twice a day, place them in indirect sunlight (sunlight that bounces off an adjacent building to my bedroom window), sometimes even shine a lamp light so they could "bask" and change their water every week. I accidentally left them on the windowsill for too long (it had been already dark) and when I took them in, they were not moving. I tried every thing i could to "wake" them but they would not budge. I just don't understand what happened to them.. to BOTH of them. I had big rocks in their small tank so I dont know if its from algae that i could not completely wash away (they absorbed into the rocks) or because leaving them by the windowsill was too cold. It's summertime and it doesn't get less than 65 degrees F at night. Sigh, I grew so attached to these turtles and I'm looking are replacements for my friend. In the meantime, I was hoping someone could point out what I did terribly wrong. Your help is much appreciated.

R.I.P. Sriracha and Kikkoman
Last edited by im0kru0k2 on Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
im0kru0k2

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:02 pm   

Sorry to hear about your turtles, that is so sad to hear.

I suspect your 2 turtles had something going on for a while, such as a respiratory infection that converted to pneumonia.

However, for these little guys, it is best to change their water more than once a week (but not daily b/c their feces have nutrients that they desire) and bring their water temperature up to arround 75-80 degrees and basking areas up to 90 degrees. Their immune systems respond to UV light and HEAT since they are ectotherms.

As for indirect lighting, that is relative. I would try and get the next turtles in direct light or buy a UVB/UVA light and be sure to remove any protective covering over the bulb (which can block the UV). Also, food should vary over time and be switched up (could you imagine eating the same meal forever and expect to eb really healthy?). Minoes (not goldfish), lettuce, ReptoMin (pet store food), etc. One last note, assuming good water changes, UV light, proper diet and a large enough tank, it is wise to aid their development by sprinkling calcium supplement on their food.

All in all, turtles actually require some sensitive care. Good light, good water temp, good air temp, variety of diet, calcium supplement and attention. You do these things you should be fine next time around.

Turtles can be very senstitive, you can do EVERYTHING right and they can still leave you early. Good luck and use this forum, it is very good. Sorry to hear about you turtles....it is always difficult.
bruster

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:29 pm   

dramatic temp changes are deadly to hatchlings. do you monitor the water temps?

also, be careful when you are using sunlight to get them to bask or offer uvb. sunlight can easily heat up a small tank and can be inconsistent.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:06 am   

thank you guys so much for the replies.

if the turtles did die because they have been sick, would they have died at the same time? was it because it was infectious? and do you know how they would have gotten the throat infection turned into pneumonia? and what have been the signs?

if it was due to a dramatic change in temp, how would that exactly contribute to what happened? i'm so afraid they "froze" because i left them out on the window for too long or they were dehydrated because of the sunlight.

it was just that they seem fine prior to the incident, both very active and attentive to my presence. their passing caught be off guard. I wasn't aware of all these special instructions because I was only told how to care for them from my friend. but i'll be sure to take more care the next time.

thanks again for your help.

RIP Sriracha and Kikkoman
im0kru0k2

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:08 am   

First off, there is no such thing as a miniature slider. They all get big. Second, leaving them by the window in the sun probably cooked them. The sun hitting the window, then the tank will heat up the water very fast. I've heard of several turts dying this way.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:22 am   

I am sorry to hear about your turtles. :(

I think I would have to agree with jenaero, even if the turtles weren't on the window sill for too long, the sun can heat up water pretty fast, also once the sun went down and the temp. dropped to 65 (especially if it was close to a draft) , the temp. would've been to cold for them and probably gave them RI, and it is true that Miniature turtles don't exist, there are some that stay relatively small, but they are in no way miniature, I believe the smaller turtles will get up to 4 or 5 inches (musk turtles).
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:22 pm   

omg, thats so awful! the thought of them suffering :cry: i didnt think it was that warm that day.. and i took them out to the windowsill at 4ish pm and took them back at 9pm.. they probably hit the night breeze more than the indirect sunlight (they also had a shade atop of the cage).. and my windows were slightly cracked open. but it would make sense that this move led them to their demise... thanks for the input guys.

RIP Kikkoman and Sriracha

p.s. sorry for the confusion, i know there aren't miniature RES's, i just wanted to emphasize their size in case that makes a difference in the disagnosis
im0kru0k2

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:42 pm   

Were their shells soft at all?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:52 pm   

Hello~

No, their shells were not soft. At least not since i last picked them up. What would it mean if they were?

Thanks.
im0kru0k2

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:45 pm   

Soft shell could be a sign of malnourishment and metabolic bone disease. But i really think it was their placement on the window sill that did it. Try not to feel too bad. Sometimes we have to learn the hard way. I'm kind of wondering what instructions your friend gave you to take care of them.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Return to Urgent Care