Urgent Care :: Fungus and Malachite Green

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:46 pm   Fungus and Malachite Green

How successful were you in treating fungus with Malachite Green?

I have this and I put it in the water and since I change it daily I figure it will take a week to see results...

I have not got a filter setup, just a bowl rocks and the poor turtles...
Frances

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:44 am   

so get a nice setup...so the turtles wont be so poor.
From the homegrowers soul, straight to his lungs. That's the method that I myself find fun. Start from seed and then you'll see, just how fun homegrowing can be.
da sAUCE!

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:56 am   thanks!

Thanks, we got them from a neighbor who *found* them at a yard sale. They were only $5 and she said that they were sick so I took them hoping to make them better. I've figured out what's wrong with them and once they are cured I am going to let them go in a creek near our house.

Poor things. Good thing is that they are a natural species to the area, from what little I've read.

I was hoping that we could keep them be/c I thought they'd be low-maintenance but after what I've read here... they'll need lots of care.

I'll let you know how their treatment goes. Thanks!
Frances

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:02 am   

I'd have to advise you not to let them go. If they're already sick, they could make the wild turts sick too. Also, there are probably laws in your city/state against releasing animals into the wild.

If you can't afford to keep them, try re-homing them instead.

Honestly, they are pretty low-maintenance. The only expense is the initial setup. I spent about $300 on my 50 gal setup with lights/filter/etc and the only cost now is food. I spend about $11 on a can and it lasts me months.

Where are you located? If you're close by I could take them off your hands in a few months (have to move first)
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:12 am   Wow!

Wow! That is such a generous offer. We live in Augusta Ga. The turtles are actually found here naturally. Unfortunately I don't know if these little ones came fromt eh wild or a breeder since it was a "rescue" impulse buy. I just could imagine the little things being let go sick either.

I just called my vet and she says that the malachite green would do fine for them. She was admimant about me NOT releasing them into the wild. So, she's given me the name and number of a person with Animal Control that will take them rehabilitate them and release them.
Frances

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:19 am   

Good to hear! :D
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Return to Urgent Care