Urgent Care :: shell questions

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:53 pm   shell questions

Hi all,

I've noticed that some of the plates on my RES's shell are lifting slightly around the bottom edges. This is around the back of her shell, the front plates connect nicely. Could this be the beginning of shell rot? I am new to turtles so not sure. They aren't cracking or falling apart, just lifting slight around the bottom edge.
Urs
"A new RES lover"
sassygirl

Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:06 pm   

sounds like shedding. Totally normal :D
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:30 pm   

sounds like shedding,guess he's growing. :lol:
Don't put a question mark (?) where God has already put a period (.)!
lydia_lady_fla

Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:56 pm   

does it seem like there there is an air pocket in there, and it's a light green shade or is her shell curving upwards, like the edges are sort of curving up?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:17 pm   

just the edges of the plates are curving up, and mostly to the back of the shell.
Urs
"A new RES lover"
sassygirl

Post Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:47 pm   

my res had a similar problem. what caused his situation was the fact that i had to keep him in very little water. thats the short version anyway. i'm sure there could be other causes. what is the depth of the water in your tank?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:52 pm   

her water is 10" deep, plenty of room to swim. She stays in the water alot just started basking a little bit at a time the other day. I saw pics of shell rott and she looks nothing like that. She has a healthy appetite etc, so maybe it is just shedding :)
Urs
"A new RES lover"
sassygirl

Post Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:56 pm   

When you say the edges of the plates are curving up, do you mean the top layer of the scute/plate or the actual plate itself (i.e., the shell is turning upward). If the first, it sounds like shedding. If the latter, it sounds like she's being fed too much and is going through a growth spurt. Which does it sound like?

What are you feeding her, how much and how often?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Urgent Care