Urgent Care :: Goldfish

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:24 pm   Goldfish

My girlfriend rescued a dozen baby goldfish (about an inch & 1/2) from a local fair, they were left in a bag after everyone went.

I'm sure you've guessed this already but I'll carry on....

Thinking the goldfish would help keep the tank clean and eat dropped turtle food they were acclimatised and dropped in; it took all of 2 mins for us to realise our mistake.

Will the fish he ate cause any problems?
Would they be safe to put them back in when they are bigger?

Our slider thinks it's his birthday & I know he's a predator but since we've only ever fed him with Wardley pellets we're a little concerned.

Any advice you could give is welcome!

Thanks

^_^
Not all my mistakes are fatal!
Keo

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:33 pm   

Welcome! The goldfish shouldn't hurt your turtle. Mine loves fish. It took him a bit to catch them but ate 6 in one night. Goldfish can be 'fatty' so you don't want it as a regular meal. Rule of thumb...if it's moving and is in their tank...turtles will have no problems seeing it as their next meal.
Heather
--
1 RES Zeke 17 years (2/1/01)
6 Cats: Mercedes, Tiggles, Mouse, Raven, Smokes, Keekie
2 Dogs: Emmie & Ruby
cprcheetah

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:35 pm   

First of all, the fish should've have done too much harm, although they are very low in nutrition and high in fat. Also, what makes you think goldfish will keep your tank clean? They'll make it extremely dirty. WHen they get bigger, your turtle will be bigger and they will be eaten. ANYTHING, that's live is your turtle's meal.
Kallistos

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:48 pm   

Well that's a relief!
I'm not too worried about the fat since he's been going mad in there chasing them and he can come out for a walk and a play with the cat tomorrow, it was more the bones we weren't sure about.

I've read through the feeding posts so we'll maybe try him on a few new things from there as well.

Thanks all!

^_^
Keo

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:18 pm   

The bones provide calcium which is good for the turtles.
Kallistos

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:59 pm   

Did I read that right? He's "coming out to play w/the cat tomorrow"???

Btw - I had a really beautiful fancy-tailed goldfish named Flipper in my turtle tank w/a hatchling res. I got a BIG fish on purpose (at least twice the size of the turt!), and didn't know at that time that turts even eat fish!
Well... yeah... poor, poor Flipper! I don't name anything that lives w/the turts anymore. :wink:
amazingcc

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:18 am   

Don't let him play with the cat, you're basically torturing him by doing that. He will be completely TERRIFIED, if he withdraws, he's terrified, if he runs around, he terrified also. There is nothing but harm that can be done by letting your turtle near your cat, or even out of his tank unless it's to go outside and bask.
Kallistos

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:46 am   

You'd think he would be scared of the cat but if anything it's the other way around. Our slider is a good few years old, 5 or 6 I think, and has lived through 2 cats; he comes out for a run around regularly, eats from your hand and sometimes sits between our feet while we’re watching TV.

He’s incredibly active and sometimes even (I know he’s a reptile but...) playful! He even comes when he’s called!

^_^
Keo

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:54 am   

He doesn't tuck his head in when the cat comes near? It sounds like you've got a trained turtle, lol! Just be careful that the floor is not too cold and drafty. They are known to develop respiratory infections. How long have you had your RES?
1 RES "Gandalf the Green" or "Turty" for short
3 Kitties "Kipper" "Slinky" "Yuki"

'Where will wants not, a way opens..'-Dernhelm
Shavannah

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:03 am   

My cats are scared to death of my turtles. The turtle walk right towards them and the cats back away. I never let them get too close though, even with the cats declawed, it makes me nervous.
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:18 am   Re: Goldfish

Keo wrote:
Our slider thinks it's his birthday & I know he's a predator but since we've only ever fed him with Wardley pellets we're a little concerned.

If you are only feeding him pellets, you should read the nutrition section on here. It will give you a list of veggies that are vital to the health of your turt. Also, you can search the posts for suggestions, or just post any other questions you may have. :)
1 RES "Gandalf the Green" or "Turty" for short
3 Kitties "Kipper" "Slinky" "Yuki"

'Where will wants not, a way opens..'-Dernhelm
Shavannah

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:27 pm   

Yeah, great comment "yeah... poor, poor Flipper! I don't name anything that lives w/the turts anymore. " This is SO true. I've tried a few variations over the past 13 years and nothing works! Even tiny fire-bellied newts...good idea, right? I mean they can climb and hide....and they're so small. Nope, that lasted for a few days until he caught on there was something else in there! lol He's now known as Fred the Hunter...:D
senecaty

Return to Urgent Care