Urgent Care :: Scratches

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:54 am   Scratches

Myrtle, my larger RES, Came to me with these scratches:
They are scratches that have a clear hard covering. I'm assuming the hard covering his attempt to re-grow or repair the shell. Am I correct? The scratches are not deep, very superficial. He acts fine, eats fine, begs fine, basks fine, swims fine. Will these heal on there own?

I understand the RES is a hardy species but I figured it never hurts to get others opinions.

Thank you
-Chris
BigCT

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:02 pm   

Hmm--from what I see, the white doesn't really look like scratches (not close enough), and the white patch across from it (the biggest one) looks like air underneath the scutes. It looks like your turtle could be getting ready to shed in some spots. (If there's any white area near the seam (line in between the scutes, does it look like the scute might be lifting up a little there?)

If you see scratches (but the top scute/surface isn't scratched?), could the rocks you're using be abrasive?
Last edited by marisa on Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:43 pm   

Yeah the picture is not too clear. The picture is through the water. The one scratch on top is actually 3 side by side scratches. You can see that it's actually a gouge. the clear covering is almost impossible to see but you can feel it.

The rocks are a bit abrasive but these scratches came with the turt. The pet store said that had them shipped from Oklahoma or somewhere thereabouts. There are no new scratch's and the other turt has none (from different pet store).

I'm at work now, yeah I know its SAT :roll: , but when I get home I'll check to see if any of the scutes are loose. and try to get a more clear picture.
Thank you
-Chris
BigCT

Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:00 am   

Here are a few more close ups.

The scute does appear a bit loose in photo #4 could be, as you say, shedding. I was not aware they shed on there shells.

Any advice? Should I worry, not worry? Freak out?
Thank you
-Chris
BigCT

Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:05 pm   

Turtles shed their scutes/plates as they grow, and this is normal (they shed skin, too, but not to the extent other reptiles do). With normal shedding, there's no worry.

The 3 "scratches" do look a bit unusual (with that greenish tint, there also looks like there's a bit of algae on the area as well--not a problem and it could be removed with a soft brush/cloth). The clear covering sounds like the top layer of the scute (which at some point will shed). If the turtle came this way, the shell could have been somehow injured during shipping or at the petshop. The shell is hard and healthy? I'd keep any eye on it and make sure the turtle has ample opportunity to bask under proper lighting. If you're really concerned or in doubt after a bit of time goes buy, have it looked at by a reptile vet.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:12 pm   

Yes, the shell is hard no soft spots and he/she basks quite a bit. During the daylight hours he/she basks about 50/50.
BigCT

Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:46 pm   

The "scratches" look like scars from shell rot (it could even be ongoing shell rot). Put your nose close to the turtle by the "scratches" Does it smell at all? Turtles do have a small scent, but it is not unpleasant but Shell rot STINKS! (it smells like rotten meat to an extent) Does the one scute that has the air bubble lift up? If so, I would trim it back to where it doesn't peel any more. (JMHO) Could you get some pics where your guy is completely dry?

(Yes I think that one is a boy)
Scooter (10") & B.C.(11") both female.
150 gal with 2 Pondmaster 1500s
soopermum62

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:13 pm   

There's some more info on shell rot with pics here: www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/medshell.htm so you can better determine what's going on with the shell.
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:12 pm   

in the first pic. you said the turt. came to you with these scratches right? how long have you had him? I have seen old marks from the wild on all kinda turts, maybe if its not shell rot this turt ran into a few problems in life and has scars? once we saw a gopher turtle that had the skid marks on his shell from crossing a road engraved into his shell was not deep enuff to hit the good stuff and never got infected .....just marked for life.
we found him atleast once a year for like 8 years and knew him by the scars.
Don't put a question mark (?) where God has already put a period (.)!
lydia_lady_fla

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:04 pm   

Yes he came into my care that way. I picked him beacuse he put up the biggest fight when pet store clerked picked him up. I probaly should have paid closer attention to the shell. I've had him for about 3-4 weeks. seams very healthy. He is basking a little more than usual, but I think thats just because he is used to us when we come in the room.
BigCT

Return to Urgent Care