Urgent Care :: Not basking.

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:10 am   Not basking.

I have a 4 year old Serrated African Sideneck. We got her a new habitat about 6 months ago. She has more room and should be much happier, however; She hasn't basked at all since we put her in her new tank. We've tried different basking docks. We've tried a more open plan for her dock with natural rock but nothing. We have tried to give her a more enclosed space so she might feel more protected, But nothing. We have a camera on her to see her activity and she will go up on her dock for a moment but looks around and immediately goes back down. We are experienced turtle owners and have two . We keep her water temp around 77 degrees and her basking area around 85 degrees. She eats fine, and has energy. We recently got her a new uvb bulb that is supposed to give off a good amount of uvb so maybe that will help? But she hasn't been interested yet. Before her new tank she used to bask every evening for a few hours. Also we've noticed her head color is fading from a dark grey to a more lighter brown color. Anyone else experience this? We feed her reptomine about three times a week. THe only thing I can think of is maybe she is egg bound but i haven't seen her showing any laying behavior. THen again maybe we missed it she stays hidden most of the time. SHe does not sleep either, never seen her have her eyes closed lol. Her water depth is about 9" so shes not struggling to swim or anything. She is huge , around 8" shell length, ( and only 4 years old). Any thoughts?
mybabyjo2426

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:48 pm   Re: Not basking.

Hi, do you have any pictures of the setup/basking area?
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care