Urgent Care :: White cottony film on my turtles head while brumating under

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:08 pm   White cottony film on my turtles head while brumating under

I have a red eared slider turtle in my koi pool/pond. There is a white fuzzy film that has grown on his head, neck and over his eyes. The rest of him looks normal. Does anybody know what this is? If it's safe for him? This morning the fish moved him out of his spot and have been eating on him. I hope they don't injur him. They're probably helping him out but just want to make sure.
Is he alive? He doesn't respond to their aggressive nibbling.

Thank you

Video of turtle
https://youtu.be/qYTCr8J9d68?si=JvPF5wYAc5YNAq_Y

Video of fish eating off him
They're at the bottom of the video.
https://youtu.be/zvUe-0lO5aM?si=a9pGua23M4y8tj6r
Tanyaclick

Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:21 pm   Re: White cottony film on my turtles head while brumating un

It does not seem good. Is there any activity from him at all?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:52 pm   Re: White cottony film on my turtles head while brumating un

None. I took him to the vet and they said he's deceased.
Tanyaclick

Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:49 pm   Re: White cottony film on my turtles head while brumating un

I'm very sorry to hear it. Was this the first time he was brumating?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:21 pm   Re: White cottony film on my turtles head while brumating un

No he has brumated for several seasons but not with me. I dont have any experience caring for turtles. He came with a bunch of koi I purchased. He ended up being the coolest bonus. We loved him very much. The prior owners had a 8Lx8Wx4D pond with a permanent thick net on top and a very small dock for the turtle. Probably 18 inches long x 8 inches wide. We didn't get the notice that we would be getting the fish officially until a week prior when the sellers finally decided. We picked them up October 21st and put them in a temporary intex pool we prepped a week prior and put a pond bomb in, which is located on my covered patio. They do not get any sun. Which has always been a concern of mine. The prior owners said the turtle very rarely goes on the platform and that in the winter he goes to the bottom and stays there. I looked at him constantly but never knew if he was doing good or not. He looked fine, until he didn't recently. Water temp is 58°. I do water quality tests daily or every other day. Naturally I've been battling ammonia which has never exceeded 2 ppm, which the vet said was not the cause. I've used ammonia binders and done several heavy water changes and followed all advice provided on my koi forum, within reason, combined with the advice from Eric Triplett and my other 2 pond guys. A few days ago I noticed the fur growing. Apparently he was already passed by then as the vet said that fungus grows on them once deceased. We had thought about bringing him in for the winter, or putting him in a 100 gallon hospital tank with a heater, or heating the whole pool. We were told that none of that was necessary and he'd be fine. I should've trusted my gut. I don't know anything about turtles. I'm guessing he got too cold. I'd love to hear all about what I did wrong so I can not make the same mistakes and properly care for my fish and any future turtles. The fish will be staying in this arrangement for several months while we pull together the funds to get this build done. Unfortunately my husband had a series of bad luck and recently (2 days prior to getting the fish) had hand surgery, then while getting the fish he happened to severely strain his hamstring and calf ligaments and was on crutches, then recently in OT tore his meniscus, proceeded to have a horrendous allergy to the cortisone shot, then got sick with covid on Xmas day and has been sleeping since.... We have a 1 and 5 year old. All that to say, we cannot build the pond ourselves so plans had to change with all of that. I'm committed to these animals. I am doing my best but very much a novice who wants to learn as much as possible. I read and listen to Koi keeping and pond building materials daily. As much friendly advice as you or anyone else can share is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Tanyaclick

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:12 pm   Re: White cottony film on my turtles head while brumating un

Brumation is a very complicated topic and you might not find the correct answers. I've seen some just leave turtles out dry and in the cold and some who just stopped everything over the winter. So it's not even brumation just a different kind of dormancy. To me, the temperature sounds like it was in a "death zone", and not cold enough for brumation. There is also usually some vegetation/dirt on the bottom if the turtle wanted to burrow.

I hope you don't give up on RES. Many need to be rehomed, and they can be a great addition to a pond. If you ever do plan on more than one, they should both be females since males tend to be more aggressive toward other turtles. For a pond build, make sure that the filter is protected to prevent the turtles or fish from getting caught. Turtles love to bask, so you should have a bigger one... they can look great with stone or driftwood.

You sound like great animal keepers, I hope your husband fully recovers soon and that you have a wonderful new year.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:46 am   Re: White cottony film on my turtles head while brumating un

Thank you so much for the kind words. We are devastated by the loss of our beloved Sully. And we're definitely not giving up on RES. my plans were to build an amazing island for Sully. He was the coolest sweetest turtle and didn't harm the fish. I miss him so much.
Tanyaclick

Return to Urgent Care