Urgent Care :: Need advice with gravid RES

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:35 pm   Need advice with gravid RES

Hello, I'm came to this forum in hopes to get the opinions and advice from other turtle owners. First, I'll present my turtle :

Hermanne is a RES we found in the road in front of our house 4 years ago, we live in France and they're considered and invasive species. Our first tough was to call vets and animal associations to ask what to do with her, they all said that she will need to be euthanised. That was so unfair to the poor thing that did nothing wrong so we searched for a reptile refuge that could take her in but the only one nearby, was the "turtle village", on the other side of the country. The turtle, that we named Hermanne, is really gentle and is not afraid of people so we think that maybe she was abandonned, so while we waited to take a decision I did lots of research about turtle care and decided to take care of her. It's been 4 years since, without any issues, she's been healthy, active and has had a diet of pellets/lettuce and the occasional treat of meat. She is estimated to be around 5-10 years old, the last time we weight her she was around 2kg, and her size is aprox 20-22cm/7-8,5 inches. When we found her she had a bit of shell rot but I treated it and now she has a pretty and healthy.

Earlier this week, after I cleaned her indoor tank and the temperatures started to rise, she started to display some strange behavior. Frantically wanting to get out when in water and loss of appetite, something to note, when I take her back into her indoor tank and put her in the water, she lets out a "fart" from her cloaca, today I realised that it was pee that she let out all at once, perhaps because of the stress of wanting to get out of that particular tank? It turns out that she wants to lay eggs.

It's not the first time she does, the first year we had her she laid them in the water and ate them then the 2nd year, during the pandemic, I built her an outdoor enclosure with a pond where she laid 2 clutches of eggs. Last year she didn't showed any signs of being gravid but having spend whole days alone outside, she had plenty of time to lay them without us noticing. This year she's more affected by it, she only wants to look for a suitable place to dig, she's relentless about it.

Her outdoors enclosure with enough space to lay eggs (I'll see if I can attach some pictures), there's a sandy beach next to her pond and a dirt area under banana trees that provide shadow. Currently it's very hot outside: around 37°C/98°F. During the nights the temp. can drop beetween 10-18°C/50-64°F, considering it's below the recommended temperature, I take her inside to her indoors tank just to sleep and eat(with filter, Lights, heather, I feed her outside also when possible). The outdoors pond has lots of water lettuces and a bif filter, there are also 6 goldfishs (we had them since we built it), she never tried to eat them.

Now the issue is that when she's not basking, she walks around her enclosure many, many times and sometimes tries to climb up the fence. Seeing that she might want to dig somewhere outside her enclosure I've spend hours watching her in the garden looking for somewhere to dig. But, she only goes for where the ground is "grey", for example the concrete patio where she did her best do dig up a nest with her rear legs to no result of course. Then after doing some prospection in our parking where the ground is compact gravel. There she tried to dig 3 holes but abandonned them (She managed to go quite far despite the hardness of the ground). I even tried to put her in a nesting box with soft soil/sand to no avail as she wants to get out.

Do you know why she insists in going for hard/impossible places to dig despite having a enclosure with dedicated space for her to dig? I don't mind spending all the time necessary watching her in the garden until she finds a suitable place (usally in the morning or evening when it's less hot) but during the weeks I work so she can only be in her enclosure. Maybe the really high temperatures are too hot for her to lay? I've read all articles and guides about gravid turtles, and I know that egg retention is a serious thing, considering her as a close friend, I can't help but to worry for her health. Specially when she has lost her appetite and hasn't eaten anything since monday, not reacting even to her favorite treats. I've added some cuttlebone to see if she would bite a chunk of it but nothing so far.

That's why I would like to have other people's opinion on this situation, of course, If I don't see any positive progress, I'll try to find a vet for turtles, even if they're all been hostile towards RES so far.

Thank you for your attention!
Hermanne the Turtle

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:42 am   Re: Need advice with gravid RES

When and where they want to lay their eggs is very instinctual, so it's hard to know why they choose where they want to nest. We used to have a member here whose turtle would lay eggs in a slipper. My turtle preferred some compact soil to dig in. In my experience, they usually determine quickly if an area can be a suitable nest and they would only prefer certain times of the day and this window lasted only a couple of hours. And after a week or so, she might retain them and expel them at a later day. If she does start digging, perhaps you can giver her some shade with an umbrella and hopefully she won't take long.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:07 am   Re: Need advice with gravid RES

Thank you for the reply Steven, Today she seems to have found a suitable place to dig in her enclosure, between the banana trees in the shade, she dug, from my estimations, a 5cm/2inch deep hole. She hasn't moved since (at least 3 hours). She just stays there, with her tail on top of the hole but I haven't seen any eggs yet (I try to disturb her the least I can), sometimes lifting her legs like she was basking and sometimes closing her eyes like she was taking a quick nap (She hasn't had much rest being restless). I'll see what she does next but at least it's a good sign that she started a nest in her enclosure.

How much time should I give her considering it's been already a week before having to worry about egg retention problems? I can't get out all the fatal outcomes they talk about egg retention issues...
Hermanne the Turtle

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:40 am   Re: Need advice with gravid RES

There's no exact way to know what's going on and you really just need to depend on your judgement. I haven't heard of them just staying frozen when trying to lay eggs before, hopefully there has been some progress on that.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:28 pm   Re: Need advice with gravid RES

From what I've noticed she digs either in the morning or in the evening when its fresh. I saw her on top of the hole today at 12h30 more or less so basically when temperatures rises. Maybe it got too hot and that's why she went to "basking mode"? Now she has become active again and is roaming around, refreshing herself in the water and basking in her usual spots. Today it's 38°C/100°F, even in the shade it's hot. Tomorrow it'll be worse with 41°C/105°F. But tuesday temperatures should drop to 31°C/87°F. That should be more comfortable for her in terms of temperature. Also, I'll let her roam around in the house a bit more, maybe she's the slipper type ^^
Hermanne the Turtle

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:37 pm   Re: Need advice with gravid RES

Here is a picture of her and her enclosure https://ibb.co/gMVfCCH
Hermanne the Turtle

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:50 pm   Re: Need advice with gravid RES

Update! She has started to dig in her sandy beach!!!! She layed eggs there before so this might be the time she lays them :D
Hermanne the Turtle

Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:51 am   Re: Need advice with gravid RES

Good news, she laid some eggs last night on her sandy beach, around 3-4 but maybe more, I couldn't dig them all up. She's calmer and has started to eat again! I'll give her cuttlebone as I read she needs an supplement of calcium after laying eggs.
Hermanne the Turtle

Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:19 am   Re: Need advice with gravid RES

That's terrific news! Have you ever felt to find out is she had eggs? It's an easy way to confirm is she has more eggs.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:36 pm   Re: Need advice with gravid RES

Before laying she had some "pouchs" in front of her back legs and she doesn't have them that big anymore, I've seen how to feel for eggs but I'm afraid to break them by trying. She was really tired at the start of the week, like sleeping for the whole day (no wonder after a restless week) but now she's back to normal, active, basking, eating, If she still wants to lay more clutches she still has plenty of space on her beach.
Hermanne the Turtle

Return to Urgent Care