Urgent Care :: Turtle's shell

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:28 pm   Turtle's shell

Hello there. I currently own 2 RES. 1 baby male and 1 baby female. I got them in december for christmas but recently I noticed my female having this stuff on her shell. I don't know if its normal or not so I want to be 100% sure and post this on here. This is what it looks like :
Attachments
turtulefemale-ConvertImage.jpg
Justindd11

Post Posted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:10 am   Re: Turtle's shell

It looks like they are getting ready to shed, however you should feed less as there are a few signs that she is being overfed. You can't tell their genders as they are still a bit too small and you should also remove gravel/small rocks in the tank.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu May 13, 2021 11:36 am   Re: Turtle's shell

I bought them from a pet shop and they said that it was 1 male and female. I dont doubt that they could be wrong. I feed them turtle sticks. about 3-4 each. Is that to much? I have rocks inside the tank that are about as big as my thumb. They are to big to try and swallow. Should I still keep them in?
Justindd11

Post Posted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:24 pm   Re: Turtle's shell

How often do you feed them? Do they both look like that? It's likely someone is sneaking some food/treats to them. As for the rocks, they should at minimum be larger than the turtles head. Another negative about smaller rocks is that they will trap more waste in the tank.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu May 13, 2021 1:01 pm   Re: Turtle's shell

When I first got them I didnt know how much to feed them or anything. About a month ago I did research and found the head rule.. Feed them as much food as fits in their head. I used to feed them a lot before I started doing that. As of for the rocks, Ive noticed that. The whole kit that I got for them from the pet shop was the zoo med kit. The filter isnt that great but any above tank filters wont fit since the way that the seal for the top slides on. As of for the rocks, Ive seen youtube videos on RES owners and they have colored gravel in their tanks. Ive been thinking about it but not sure as I dont want them to eat the gravel
Justindd11

Post Posted: Thu May 13, 2021 1:32 pm   Re: Turtle's shell

At that size, I’d go half head size + veggies. Are they in the same tank now?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu May 13, 2021 4:08 pm   Re: Turtle's shell

Yes both of them are in a 30 gallon tank. I havent tried to feed them vegies. I do have dried shrimp that I feed both once a week What kind of vegetables should I try?
Justindd11

Post Posted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:16 pm   Re: Turtle's shell

the list here is good: http://www.redearslider.com/plants.html

start with small amounts to gauge their interest, but you can be a little tough on them and only offer veggies until they take them too.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care