Urgent Care :: Skin and Basking Issues

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:58 am   Skin and Basking Issues

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
How big is your turtle? About 9 inches.
How long have you had it? We've had it for 6 years, really no idea how old she was when we rescued her.

What is the water temperature? 75 degrees.
Did you use a thermometer? Yes
Are you using a water heater? Yes
How much water is in there? 85 gallon filled all the way up.
Are you using a water conditioner? No.
Are you using any filtration? Canister filter with 150gallon capability.

What is the basking temperature? 87 roughly.
Is there a basking light? Mercury bulb recently purchased.
Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on? Now yes. Had a pre made turtle topper before this one that caused her to not bask.
What kind is it or what is it made out of? Empty 55gallon with egg crate ramp and smooth pebbles/reptile grass to cover glass bottom.
Is there a UVB light? 3 in 1 mercury bulb.

What have you been trying to feed it? Pellets 3 times a week. About the size of hollow head and leafy greens daily.
When was the last time your turtle ate? This morning.

How big is the tank/pond/enclosure? 85 gallons plus 55gallon basking area.
Is the tank near a window? Yes. She enjoys the natural sunlight. Foot traffic not so much.
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity? Unfortunately yes.

Have you read the Basic Care section? Yes.
Have you searched the forums for similar situations? Yes but the symptoms are mismatched. For instance, she's not basking and still eating.

Is there any other unusual activity/symptoms?
Excessive skin shedding (whispy white from only limbs and neck that mostly disappears when forced to dry in large plastic tub. Lack of wanting to bask. (Hopefully with newly built basking area that will change. I just hope it's not too late.)
I think her eyes are dull in color and her limbs seem swollen? Everyone else in the house doesn't seem to notice a difference but I swear it.)
Can't really tell if she's swimming lopsided since she's not a super active swimmer. And I also can't tell by the feces because I honestly have never noticed physical pieces?
I'm not even sure SHE is a she.
:(
I've dug myself into an internet black hole of despair trying to research the symptoms. I just can't link enough of them together to get a definitive answer.
Surgicalprince

Post Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:11 pm   Re: Skin and Basking Issues

What does the basking area look like? It needs to be easy to access but you might want to remeasure the basking temps as well. If you have a new UVB bulb, you'll want to have a burn-in period for a little bit.

For the skin, it's more or less normal. When was the last time you did a full water change and filter cleaning?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:14 pm   Re: Skin and Basking Issues

When she first started shedding excessively and I started to worry we bought a bigger tank to accommodate his size so Christmas Day we cleaned into the complete water change.
The basking area is definitely easily accessible. I made sure the ramp was super wide and sturdy. I'll upload some pictures.
Surgicalprince

Post Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:31 am   Re: Skin and Basking Issues

Does the edge of the ramp get warm enough? I would entice him by having it warmer near the ramp, but also (temporarily) covering the sides of the tank/ramp. If you have the lights on a timer, have it turn on earlier.. preferably when there is no (human) activity in the area.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care