Urgent Care :: YBS with something in his eye?

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:08 pm   YBS with something in his eye?

Hello everyone. New to Turtle Talk. I have a 2 1/2 year old Yellow Bellied Slider. About two weeks ago now I was cleaning his tank and when it was time for him to go back in I noticed he started rubbing at his eye and head. He has done this before but stopped after a time or two. I let my tap water sit and filter for. A week or more before I add it to his tank. He was totally fine and then started that. He closed his eye and has kept it closed off and on until today. He even stopped eating a lot for almost week. He would eat a few pieces here or there. He did this once a year ago and I took him to the vet. I have eye drops and ointment from the vet and I also have Zoo Med eye drops. Anyway, I’ve been watching him and still may take him to the vet this week. I started the Zoo Med drops yesterday. cleaned his tank day before yesterday. Nothing added to it not even Reptisafe. I waited until to put him back in. He basked most of the day. Then this evening he jumped off and was swimming when he saw me and wanted to eat. Still it eating a whole lot but more than he had last week. He is keeping his eye open more. But it looks like he has something in/on his eye. Here is the picture. What do you guys think?? Have you even seen this?

Thanks so much.
Attachments
EAB00494-6B90-464E-96E8-D29981C27929.jpeg
doombuggy1313

Post Posted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:10 pm   Re: YBS with something in his eye?

It's just the right eye? It's not a reflection of anything? If it is persistent, then I'm not sure what it is. Has it come and gone before in the same exact way?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:41 pm   Re: YBS with something in his eye?

It just seems to be that eye. I have taken him out and given him drops. It doesn’t seem to light reflection. He has been keeping it closed off and on for about a week now. When he started this he was rubbing his eye and head after a tank water change. I just noticed this a couple of days ago. I’m going to make a vet appointment for Saturday and keep watching him and continue the Zoo Med eye drops. I have vet prescribed drops and ointment from last year when he kept his eyes closed for about a week and they gave me those to be on the safe side. They really didn’t think it was infected.
doombuggy1313

Post Posted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:44 pm   Re: YBS with something in his eye?

I didn’t finish and posted. The visit last year. They didn’t seem to think he had infection but gave me those to be in the safe side. I just don’t want to give them to him if nothing is wrong. Last year the eye issue was just closed eye and a little red. This looks like he has something in his eye.
doombuggy1313

Post Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:31 am   Re: YBS with something in his eye?

I think I agree with your assessment. This could be an injury, though it does not look irritated. The eye drops probably won't help or harm in this instance.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:28 am   Re: YBS with something in his eye?

I’ll just watch it for a couple of more days and continue with the drops. I may take him Saturday to the vet and let him look at. I don’t want it let untreated if treatment is needed, but I also don’t want to pay for an unnecessary vet bill either. I leave Monday for vacation but my boyfriend will be here to take care of my animals.
doombuggy1313

Post Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:47 pm   Re: YBS with something in his eye?

Sounds like a good plan. If your turtle has a history with the vet, the bill shouldn't be so bad.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care