Urgent Care :: Red Eared Slider Shell Condition (Shell Rot??)

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 2:44 pm   Red Eared Slider Shell Condition (Shell Rot??)

I kept my Red Eared Slider "Hubert" in an indoor 30 gallon tank for almost ten years before building an outdoor turtle pond for him because he was becoming sluggish. Last month I built a 50-60 gallon outdoor pond for him to get him the sun he needs. I live in Southern California where the average temperature stays 60-85 degrees so I plan to keep him outdoors all year round.

His shell looked discolored in four linear spots so last week I bought some Povidone Iodine surgical scrub solution. I did some research and found that scrubbing their shell with a brush + mild soap, then rinse, then cover shell with Iodine Solution was a treatment against shell rot. I have been doing this daily in hopes that his shell will become healthy again, but now I am becoming concerned that he is suffering from something other than shell rot. Does anyone know what is happening to his shell as well as any treatment to fix it? Also is daily scrubs and Iodine soaks helping/good for his shell?
IMG_20190527_105634 (1).jpg
IMG_20190527_105622 (3).jpg
Hubert99

Post Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:51 pm   Re: Red Eared Slider Shell Condition (Shell Rot??)

What do you mean discolored? The shell looks normal, though there is some minor pyramiding. There is some shedding developing too, which is a good and healthy sign.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 4:44 pm   Re: Red Eared Slider Shell Condition (Shell Rot??)

What are the brownish lines running down his shell? That is my main concern, but I cant find any more information on what it could be. They were not on his shell a year or two ago, I thought it was from lack of natural light and that's one of the main reasons why I built the outdoor pond.
Hubert99

Post Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:25 pm   Re: Red Eared Slider Shell Condition (Shell Rot??)

The patterns on the shell will darken when they get older. A hatchling starts out with a bright green shell and an adult RES might be almost completely dark brown.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care