Urgent Care :: Lethargic Turtle- PLEASE HELP!!

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:19 pm   Lethargic Turtle- PLEASE HELP!!

Hi! I am sitting here in tears while I write this. I will
Start by saying my 10 year old map turtle suddenly died yesterday. This morning I noticed my 18 year old RES wasn’t quite acting himself. Tonight I noticed all he was doing was laying at the bottom of the tank. When I touched him all he did was slightly twitch his legs. He is always so energetic and expects to be hand fed and he wouldn’t even move when he saw his treat bag. I have him out of the tank right now. It’s 9pm and the vets office is closed. The turtle that died was in a separate tank. The only thing in common was the fish I got them from the same pet store. I don’t want to loose my 18 year pet. Does anyone have any advice for neon how to help him?!?
KatieToole

Post Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:21 am   Re: Lethargic Turtle- PLEASE HELP!!

I saw both post. Without having turtle in my hands or any test results more info on all observations up to this needed! Could be anything . Complete tank setup's they both live in too.

I do not feed any fish or shrimp from a pet shop ! Feeders are sold so fast most are not well taken care of or even feed. I breed my own and only feed once a month the most .

Being only thing in common was the fish you gave them from the same pet shop and were in different tanks says something.

For Neon observe well for any others signs and let us know. Keep offering his's favorite foods even if its fruit. Try a live worm ! Raising the water's temp to 85* does help with digestion problem's , if it may be something on that line. Also helps with other issues.

Read these artilcels : http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_6/ ... minase.htm

http://www.insectivore.co.uk/articles_t ... oning.html

Also use articles in top header on this forum help as this : http://www.redearslider.com/index_health.html
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:19 am   Re: Lethargic Turtle- PLEASE HELP!!

He didn’t make it through the night. I tried to get him in with an emergency vet last night and they weren’t comfortable treating turtles.

He was in a 75 gallon tank with a very large canister filter and an above the tank basking area. Water was about 76 degrees and basking area 88 degrees. We have a local exotic pet store I got the fish from and that’s the only explanation I am come up with. It seems it would be a very strange coincidence to lose 2 turtles in 2 separate tanks with in 2 days of each other.

I am completely devastated.
KatieToole

Post Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:57 am   Re: Lethargic Turtle- PLEASE HELP!!

Very sorry for your loss of two friends.
In time you will have great memories of the turtles/kids raised .
Never forget the happiness they gave you !
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:40 pm   Re: Lethargic Turtle- PLEASE HELP!!

Very sorry about your loss. How big were the fish in relation to your turtles? For it to happen suddenly does raise a lot of questions.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care