Urgent Care :: weird white lines

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:54 pm   weird white lines

my turtle shelly (who is 7 mounths old) has weird white lines coming out of the side of her mouth and is not eating very well. Do you know what is wrong? :(
Last edited by superturtle166 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
superturtle166

Post Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:40 pm   Re: HELP

Can you post a picture of it? Do the lines show up when she is out of water for awhile?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:25 am   Re: weird white lines

my computer is not working very well so it will not send a picture but they look like little white strings floating in the water. I also see some little white balls that when you put pressure on them they break into smaller balls.
Last edited by superturtle166 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
superturtle166

Post Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:28 pm   Re: HELP

These are coming out of her mouth? :(
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:45 pm   Re: weird white lines

they are either coming out of her mouth or a little spot next to her mouth but i think they are coming out of the spot becase she was trying to scratch it of with her claw
superturtle166

Post Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:25 pm   Re: weird white lines

there is now blood coming out of her mouth! what is happening?????
superturtle166

Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:41 am   Re: weird white lines

No idea, definitely doesn't sound normal. You should have her seen by a reptile/exotics vet. If she's having trouble swimming, take her out of the tank. Is there another turtle with her?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:53 am   Re: weird white lines

As Steve said quarantine from any other turtle , could be contagious.
Without having the turtle in my hand too hard to tell. The not eating well could be a sign of mouth/throat damage ? Could be from a trauma not noticed until the white areas appeared which could be infection either bacterial or viral. With out test unknown. Does Shelly scatter off basking dock , may of caused unseen trauma hitting the glass , tried eating something cutting the beak / mouth/ throat area. May even be internal. Could be a vitamin deficiency (k) . Thorough examination needed !
“Any bleeding” needs a trained Herp Vet to examine , one that has actually treat’s turtle. A thorough examination needed to find out were it’s coming from. Also medication may be offered along with a treatment plan. Without knowing were and what caused this problem it can and will get worse without a Herp Vets help . If mouth/throat area can go into mouth rot if not treated properly. Stomatitis can be fatal if not treated.
Seek qualified veterinarian care don’t wait too long for any more signs. Shelly needs qualified help before it get's worst.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:19 pm   Re: weird white lines

today she has orange foam coming out of her mouth and will not go into the water. there is no other turtles with her and I have scheduled an vet appointment for her.
superturtle166

Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:32 pm   Re: weird white lines

The vet said she might have pneumonia and that he was going to do some tests.
superturtle166

Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:52 pm   Re: weird white lines

What kind of tests? Pneumonia is sometimes thrown around as a generic illness I'm afraid. Blood would indicate some sort of injury.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:16 pm   Re: weird white lines

I'm not sure but he gave her 2 shots and she is acting better. He said to bring her in every 3 days for the next 2 weeks to get more shots (like an anantibiotic)
superturtle166

Return to Urgent Care