Urgent Care :: Female turtle basking a lot

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:47 pm   

lol .. all this time i estimated her length in size .. silly me :oops: :twisted: she is really 7.5" which is a really big difference from 9" lol sorry for the confusion :oops:
mitchy04

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:05 pm   

You RES is 17 months old and her SCL (Straight carapace length=the length of the shell from the scute behind her neck down the back to the end of the one above the tail not including the curve of the shell) is 7.5"?

This is a LOT of growth for a turtle that's less than a year and a half old (maybe she's older?). What, how much, and how often is she being fed?

I should also add to my reply in my previous post, that in captivity, turtles all to often are overfed and grow more quickly than in the wild (where at about 5 years they'd be adults) and the size will be more of a determining factor in sexual maturity than age but 17 months (really?) still sounds too young.

If you build a nesting site at some point, it would be good if it were constructed in such a way that she could get in and out of it when she wanted to.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:31 pm   

i only found out about this site like 3 weeks ago and at that point i have made domestic changes such as changing my turtles food habits... i use to over feed her by feeding her both day and night so that can explain the rapid growth of my turtle .... now i feed her on a monday, wednesday, friday basis ... well now i have alot of thinking to do to be creative and make a new part of her tank land for her able to lay her eggs but i have alot of time so i dont want to rush into things.... the thing that buggs me is that the pet store ppl told me to feed her noth day and night :evil: :evil: now my turtle is a MONSTER and i didnt get to see her enjoy her youngen years when she was so small and cute
mitchy04

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:32 pm   

marisa wrote:You RES is 17 months old and her SCL (Straight carapace length=the length of the shell from the scute behind her neck down the back to the end of the one above the tail not including the curve of the shell) is 7.5"?

yes .. she is 7.5" ..i double checked :!:
mitchy04

Previous

Return to Urgent Care