Urgent Care :: [Urgent] 16 Year RES - Pink Skin/Shell and Black Spot w/ Pic

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:31 am   [Urgent] 16 Year RES - Pink Skin/Shell and Black Spot w/ Pic

Hi Turtle Talk Community,

First post here, so please let me know if there's anything I can add to improve. My 16-year-old female RES seems to be sick and I've had her since I was a child. Sorry my first post isn't the most cheerful, but please let me know if there's any advice you can pass on! Very urgently looking for advice.

1) Pink Coloration

Attached (9x) photos: https://imgur.com/a/W8cocdL

During my last water change, I noticed that has developed pink coloration on the bottom of her shell and also in some covered areas of her skin.

She has been fed Muzuri aquatic turtle pellets for the past 2 years which are brown in color so I don't think its the food.
The top of her shell and limbs are still normal color
Not sure if this has anything to do with it but she is starting to shed shutes but I figured that was normal going into the colder seasons (I'm in CA so our winters arnt terribly cold though)
Could this possibly be blood poisoning (septicemia)?

2) Dark Spot

There seems to be a black spot on the underside of my turtle. It is rather hard when I tried picking it out with a flexible plastic toothpick. It seems to have been there for a while and I only noticed this issue because one of my RES bottom shell scutes came off with a perfect cutout (see photos) of the spot. Before I thought it was part of her shell.

Is this spot life-threatening? Should I attempt to remove this or will it cause more damage than good? Should I just leave it be?

Attache (3x) photos https://imgur.com/a/m7shjnJ

Thanks in advance everyone

- J
ThanksInAdvance!

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:32 pm   Re: [Urgent] 16 Year RES - Pink Skin/Shell and Black Spot w/

Being the pink is all over I am concerned. Seems to me inflammation around the back legs / body. Front area she's not fat the back were you would check for eggs are .... She may of retained some eggs in her and they are breaking down infecting her , being all over it's in her blood. I would see a Herp Vet or a regular vet that already has some turtle experience. Blood work should be done to know for sure . The earlier treatment starts better the cure.

How times she laid eggs before and what time of year she normally does? They can lay eggs through out there lives , some start early then others late in life.

Let Steve come in on this he may think a little different with his opinion , he's good.
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:21 pm   Re: [Urgent] 16 Year RES - Pink Skin/Shell and Black Spot w/

Thanks for the kind words litefoot. From the pictures, I think she’s mostly been overfed and overweight. Pink is probably just bacteria growth but maybe something in the tank is irritating her. If it were to get darker or continues to spread, then a herp visit would be a good idea.

What happened when you picked at the spot? Was it sensitive to her? Any gunk or foreign material in there? Was any of the material soft?
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care