Urgent Care :: Turtle gulping/biting, possibly something stuck in throat

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:46 pm   Turtle gulping/biting, possibly something stuck in throat

I have a 2" RES that's been frequently gulping/biting without there being any food around, almost as if it has something stuck in its throat. Occasionally it tries to claw at its face too while it does this. I've tried looking in its mouth, but it's so small that I can't really see anything. This has been going on just today. It's eating and behaving normally otherwise however.

Is this something to be concerned about? If a vet is needed, how long should I wait to see if the problem resolves itself?
Mimyr

Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:52 pm   Re: Turtle gulping/biting, possibly something stuck in throa

It's hard to say... is there anything in the tank that it could have eaten?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:22 pm   Re: Turtle gulping/biting, possibly something stuck in throa

steve wrote:It's hard to say... is there anything in the tank that it could have eaten?

Can't imagine what. We have a few rocks in there but they're all far too large to swallow. Maybe it got a bit of shrimp carapace stuck. We've been feeding them shrimp occasionally, and this turtle does have a tendency to try to just swallow things in one bite rather than chewing/ripping them into more manageable pieces first.
Mimyr

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:23 pm   Re: Turtle gulping/biting, possibly something stuck in throa

How long have you had it and how long has it been doing that?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:58 pm   Re: Turtle gulping/biting, possibly something stuck in throa

steve wrote:How long have you had it and how long has it been doing that?

It seems to have stopped after the first day actually... Had them for around 9 months now.
Mimyr

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:50 pm   Re: Turtle gulping/biting, possibly something stuck in throa

OK, hopefully it was nothing :)
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care