Urgent Care :: Older turt- lopsided swimming- egg issue?

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:59 pm   Older turt- lopsided swimming- egg issue?

Hi all!

I have seen posts about young turtles and lopsided swimming but Sylvia is well over 20yrs old. (And maybe it doesnt make a difference)

I just noticed today she is swimming lopsided. No breathing noises, but noticed some bubbles out of her nose. She also seems lethargic. I will call her vet tomorrow but given its the 4th of July I may not reach anyone. And leaving for a weeklong trip on Thursday (with someone checking on her and the cats). Omg

She is in a 150 gal tank, about 100 gal full. Temp is about 80°but its been a super hot heat wave this week so unplugged her heater and left off her mecury lamp to keep it a bit cooler (ac keeping room temp in low 70s). Both heater and lamp are back on. Fluval fx6 filter. She didnt want snacks earlier (not like her at all!). Also thought it odd that shes been pooping a lot the last few days.

Have never seen her do this before! Will leave the heat lamp on overnight just in case the heat helps. She usually hangs out on her pvc basking ramp anyway, not fully out of the water, and is still doing that now.

Thank you for your thoughts!
Last edited by ytse411 on Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
ytse411

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:11 am   Re: Older turt- lopsided swimming

I'd be concerned too. It sounds like you're taking the right actions, I hope it gets sorted out soon!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:03 am   Re: Older turt- lopsided swimming- egg issue?

Thanks. Have to wait until 2pm for an er vet that is able to help but have to call and see "if he will". Seriously?

In the meantime she just has her butt in the water and looks like she is trying to poo- Im guessing its egg bits? So that tells me maybe an egg is stuck? I know that can be dire.
ytse411

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:57 pm   Re: Older turt- lopsided swimming- egg issue?

Has she laid eggs before?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:36 pm   Re: Older turt- lopsided swimming- egg issue?

Unfortunately she passed away tonight. She was only about 25 yrs old. Talked to 2 vets and a wildlife rehaber...I was doing all I could. Still in shock as it happened so quickly, but thankfully she passed peacefully.

Thanks for your help over the years.
ytse411

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:34 am   Re: Older turt- lopsided swimming- egg issue?

Oh no...., I'm so sorry for your loss :(
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care