Urgent Care :: HELP PLEASE!! RE: EGG BINDING, And YES, I have searched!!

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:26 pm   HELP PLEASE!! RE: EGG BINDING, And YES, I have searched!!

Hello All,

I have come to rely on this forum for help in the last 2 weeks, but this is my first post. I have never had an aquatic animal before, nor did I ever intend to have one. My Kids found a Red Ear Slider moseying through the yard exactly 2 weeks ago, and that's when my journey began. (And as you can tell from the title ... NOW I know why she was out wandering around!!!). First. Per Protocol ... here are the basics:

How big is your turtle? 5.0 inches
How long have you had it? 2 Weeks (Found 6/14)

What is the water temperature? 79.5 Degrees F
Did you use a thermometer? Yes & both tank heaters have digital temps.
Are you using a water heater? Yes. Twin 100W Fluval E-100 Series
How much water is in there? 50 Gal
Are you using a water conditioner? Yes. Repti-Safe. The blue does-it-all bottle
Are you using any filtration? Yes. Fluval 406 Canister Filter. 100 Gal Cap

What is the basking temperature? 88 @ night w/ceramic. 95 @ day
Is there a basking light? YES. UVA UVB. Daytime only.
Is there a basking platform? Yes. On top so all water is avail to swim.
What kind/what is it made out of? Penn Plax Turtle Topper
Is there a UVB light? Yes. Day only.

What you been trying to feed it? AQUA CULTURE Aquatic Turtle Trail Mix Diet
When's last time your turtle ate? Eats daily. No issues.

How big is the tank/enclosure? 55 Gal
Is the tank near a window? Kinda
Is the tank in a room with activity? Kinda

Have you read Basic Care section? Yes
Have you searched the forums? Yes

Is there any activity/symptoms? Tries to exit tank or ANY enclosure at all times. Was found out wandering during nesting season. Area between tail and hind legs is HARD on both sides.

OK.... So in reading the above you can tell what kind of home I threw together for her real quick. I did my best as a total newbie based on what I read here but I'm open to suggestions. The quicker the better before my 30 day amazon return window closes on all that expensive stuff.

Anyway, after putting the home together. I relaxed thinking I was done, but continued to read and browse online regarding the turtles in an effort to learn. Which is when I came across the fact that they can have eggs even without mating. And that finding them out wandering at this time of year means there could be a chance shes gravid. So I felt her today... and that area between her hind legs and tail is hard. The area in FRONT of her hind legs is nice squishy turtle. But BEHIND the rear legs... definitely eggs. It's so obvious that I feel confident saying it even though I've obviously never checked for anything like that in my life. So my questions are these:

1. Since it's already been 2 weeks that shes been forced to retain these, is it TOO late? Should I just head to the vet? Or is there still a GOOD chance she can lay these?

2. Since I only feel them BEHIND the legs, does that mean she doesn't have many? Like ... already laid some, or cuz shes young just doesn't have many?

3. How many clutches should I expect from a juvenile like this?

4. I have a 27 gal Black and Yellow plastic tote (30 inches x 18 inches x 20 inches or so). If I fill them with 10 inches of nesting material, will they work if I put her in there each night?

5. What should ACTUALLY be uses for nesting material? I see sites saying to use vermiculite with dirt. Others saying vermiculite is EVIL cuz it gets stuck on the turtle and that sand is better to mix with dirt. But no definitive answers. And Alot of it is GERERAL AQUATIC turtle advice. Not RES Specific.

THANK YOU to all who reply with help. I thought I was doing a good thing taking her in when no one in the area claimed her ... i dont wanna end up being her demise!
Doinitwright

Post Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:58 am   Re: HELP PLEASE!! RE: EGG BINDING, And YES, I have searched!

You need to need to feel the area in front of the rear legs... the area where she tucks her legs in, the area between the tail and legs are just bone.

1 - If it's been only two weeks and the turtle is/was gravid, she might just expel them into the water.

2 - Gently feel the front... any resistance in there will be eggs

3 - Not many, though on occasion some over produce frequently

4 - You only put them in when they are actively showing signs, otherwise you are just stressing them out

5 - Hard to say but usually any dirt is fine

If this is a wild turtle, you might want to return her to where she came from.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:31 am   Re: HELP PLEASE!! RE: EGG BINDING, And YES, I have searched!

Ok, need confirmation. Is the place I felt for eggs really not the correct spot? There are YouTube videos showing people feeling BEHIND the legs between the legs and the tail. But some of the videos are aquatic turtle videos in general. CAN ANYONE confirm that I need to feel for eggs in FRONT of her hind legs only? Thank you so much!
Doinitwright

Post Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:51 am   Re: HELP PLEASE!! RE: EGG BINDING, And YES, I have searched!

Here's one from a former moderator: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY2pRyQgn9o
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:25 pm   Re: HELP PLEASE!! RE: EGG BINDING, And YES, I have searched!

I would like to thank everyone for their quick responses. YouTube had me confused, and I was feeling her bones since I was in the wrong spot. I checked IN FRONT of her back legs, and shes nice and squishy feeling. I don't feel any eggs at all. So I'm guessing shes good. I wanted to come and report back rather than leaving everyone hanging like so often happens. Thanks again everyone!
Doinitwright

Return to Urgent Care