Urgent Care :: Proper treatment of shell rot

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:37 pm   Proper treatment of shell rot

I have a 7in RES that has shell rot. It's on the shell under her belly and her back. (did I use these words right? Under-belly and back?). Most of the rot (pink/red) is on the underbelly. The rot on her back looks like shallow little white crevices, circular in shape.

I bought betadine and Silver Sulfadiazine. An hour ago I re-applied the betadine for today. I wasn't sure how to apply. I put her on her back, applied the betadine and let it dry. 15-20 mins later I put her back on her legs and applied the betadine on her back.

I know we shouldn't put a turtle on its back for a long time, but in this case I don't want the betadine to get rubbed away. I will be doing the same for when I apply the silver s cream. Am I doing it right?

My questions:
1. I don't have to apply the betadine everyday, right?
2. How many times a day I should apply the silver s cream? Delay between each application?
3. I shouldn't wash the betadine+cream mixture away when I dry dock the turtles?
4. Can someone please explain how it goes? Because most of the instructions online only talk about the first day.
sharvyn

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:34 pm   Re: Proper treatment of shell rot

Bottom shell is the plastron, top shell is the carapace. When I used betadine, it dried up pretty quick. Sulfadiazine is a bit greasy, you should only a very thin coating and even that might leave residue.

As for treatment, I guess we need to know more about her condition and what kind of shell rot she has.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:33 am   Re: Proper treatment of shell rot

I can't be sure what kind of shell rot she has. I haven't brought her to a vet, mainly because there aren't in the vicinity that specializes in reptiles.

I read online that the difference between the two treatments is systemic injections. I will be trying the betadine+cream for a week, and if there's no improvement, I will have to travel a long way to find a vet.

For now, I am quite confused by the instructions for the treatment. I am actually quite distressed in the matter.

As for the turtle, she doesn't have any symptoms of scud. She moves around like she used to, she eats and basks.
sharvyn

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:54 am   Re: Proper treatment of shell rot

You requested pictures of the infection on this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39577&p=367064&e=367064

Here it is, from my Onedrive account:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AuK7mZPm88KKbGhX0yC3YMMI3Ig

You can view the images without having to sign in.

You may remove that topic, because I believe this one is more relevant to the issues. Sorry for making two topics. I got impatient because of the time difference.

So, these images are from day two, today. I am pleasantly surprised that the wounds seem a hell of a lot better than yesterday. I went bananas with the betadine and ss cream yesterday. The red areas are gone. I think it's healing incredibly fast, or it might just be wishful thinking.

I'm planning to do whatever I did yesterday:
Clean the wounds. Apply the betadine on the plastron and carapace. Let it air dry on four legs and on the back. Apply the ss cream and then dry dock.

Tomorrow I will be applying the ss cream only and then dry docking. I heard that betadine might adversely affect shell growth.

-- Do tell me if I am doing something wrong.
-- Also, do tell me your observations/opinions on the images I shared.
sharvyn

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:44 am   Re: Proper treatment of shell rot

Don't forget to rince her before putting her back in her tank :)

If you find there is improvements, it's good you continue the treatment! Is that fat I see around her back legs?
PokePony

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:38 am   Re: Proper treatment of shell rot

If she is shedding retained scutes.... thick pieces that should have come off long ago, they might have caused some of the scarring in the photos. It dose look OK mostly, hard to know if there are sensitive areas that still need treatment. Do not put too much SSD cream. You can dilute some Betadine with water and apply it to areas you want to treat. I sometimes use cotton balls for that purpose. Let things dry then apply the cream overnight, then clean up in the morning.

Make a note of any soft areas, or rough white areas.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:23 am   Re: Proper treatment of shell rot

PokePony wrote: .... Is that fat I see around her back legs?

I always thought the hanging parts weren't unusual. Well, I guess it's fat. I know, I should hold back on the food. To defend myself, I have to say that I never actually saw her growing up. She was recently dropped off into my care. So, I have never actually seen a grown up RES.

steve wrote: ...... Make a note of any soft areas, or rough white areas.

I am keeping track of these. There are sensitive parts. If they don't heal properly, I will be seeing a vet.

Anyway, thanks to both of you for the suggestions!!
sharvyn

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:16 am   Re: Proper treatment of shell rot

My RES started to get chubby last year, that's how I learned how to hold back lol
Well you will know it was fat if it diminishes with time and you know you give not too much food
PokePony

Return to Urgent Care