Urgent Care :: Some shell questions.

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:00 pm   Some shell questions.

See attached image

So, this RES (larger one) was dropped off at my house. Her previous owner had found her wandering his yard some month prior.

I haven't seen nor had a RES of this age, so I was surprised when I saw her shell. I never expected the green color to go away. Apparently it does.

However, I am still not sure if the shell is healthy. It looks quite deformed.

My questions:

1. Is the shell deformed?

2. It's a female, right?

3. There's a white 'coating' all over her upper shell that appears when she is dried off. What is it?

(I am not sure if it's hard water deposits because my younger RES seems healthy.)

Note: she actually has shell rot on the lower shell. I am going to try some tutorials I saw online in the next days.
Attachments
IMAG1432~01~01~01.jpg
sharvyn

Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:51 pm   Re: Some shell questions.

Some pyramiding. Not great, but I've seen far worse. It should get better with better care and shedding. Looks female, how big is she? Is she basking more than your other turtle? It would make any deposits more visible.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:23 pm   Re: Some shell questions.

You are right about pyramiding. I don't suppose a wild RES would have this though, right?

It's around 1am, I went outside with a flashlight and ruler to measure her. XD She's 7inches in length.

I am not sure about how much time they bask. I know they do it every morning at the same time. Only seldomly will the bigger one bask alone.

Do you believe it's hard water deposits though?
She sheds. I found quite a few scutes, yet the white layer is still here.
I do not want to brush the upper shell shell with vinegar right now because there's a little shell rot spot.
sharvyn

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:29 am   Re: Some shell questions.

Right, I don't see it occurring with wild RES. Not saying it can't happen, but extremely unlikely.

If it goes away quickly when she's in water, then it's most likely hard water. Do you see the white coating around here eyes/face too? If it is confirmed deposits, I don't think I would use vinegar on her either way.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:59 am   Re: Some shell questions.

Yes. It goes away when she's in water. And, nope, she doesn't have it around her face or limbs, even when dry.

I read somewhere vinegar works. Well, I have to do more research about it. I will get rid of the shell rot first though.

Edit: I checked again. Both of them have this white coating, though it's mostly on the shell. It's definitely those deposits.

I looked at the shell rot, they were nasty. I had a very hard time trying to apply the betadine. The rot is everywhere, most on the under-belly and a couple on the back.
sharvyn

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:57 am   Re: Some shell questions.

I have a very important question.

It has been an hour since I applied the betadine solution to my turtle. I let her dry outside. Can I put her back in her tank?

I am not sure what to do next.
sharvyn

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:31 pm   Re: Some shell questions.

Can you post pictures? It might help in confirming her conditions. As for placing back in her tank, it should be... she has a separate one, right?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:20 am   Re: Some shell questions.

try to watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOvV5EV1Vzk&t=225s
or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnCYQJODI1E

the point is you just need to keep your turtle away from water as much as possible, some say 5-8 hours a day, others say 15 hours a day. But you need to keep your turtle in water for rehydration
FreyaReniel

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:33 am   Re: Some shell questions.

Might just be me, but I don't see any shell rot in those videos.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care