Urgent Care :: My turtle has puffy eyes

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:03 pm   My turtle has puffy eyes

Is it vitamin a deficiency?
They have been destroying the basking area so they havent basked under the UVB light for a while
Or does it looks like an infection?
as they have been fighting recently (I have isolated them already)
I keep them in a 34 gallon tank with a seperation screen
and Im planning on getting filtration
They have been ok without filteration for three years so I wonder if this is the issue

Thanks for reading!
suzanna8767

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:03 am   Re: My turtle has puffy eyes

Looks a little irritated. Are both turtles like this? Whats the UVB setup like? Diet? Filter media?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:12 am   Re: My turtle has puffy eyes

Their diet is zoomed gourmet with mazuri pellets
They dont have filters yet
but Im getting one today
It is weird since they showed no sign of irritation before with tap water
suzanna8767

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:18 am   Re: My turtle has puffy eyes

This is the other turtles condition
suzanna8767

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:21 am   Re: My turtle has puffy eyes

Also, the uvb setup is just a uvb light clamp put clamped onto the 56 cm tall wall of the tank
with a floating platform that they play around instead of basking with
suzanna8767

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:59 am   Re: My turtle has puffy eyes

Eyes are especially sensitive, so it doesn't take much to irritate them. From the looks of the shell, you might need to cut back on the pellets a bit.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:35 pm   Re: My turtle has puffy eyes

Hi guys... My little 8 months old red eared slider got pneumonia and her eyes went puffy and he can't see, he is blind (cause hes eyes are so swallen). I went to two veterinarians here in Bosnia (i dont know how much they know about turtles) and they gave me some mixture of antibiotics and also mediflox oral to put one drop each day in water. They said they couldn't give him injections because he's still too small. My poor baby was so ill, he didn't eat, he just slept, never moving. I bought A+D3 drops and I put it over his shrimps (since he refuses to eat any vegetable or reptomin sticks). After 4 days of antibiotics he now has an apetite and swims and he's very active, but his eyes are still puffy and he can't see a thing. How can I help my baby turtle to see again, I'm very worried and can't stand to see it being tortured like that. Help?
VanjaSasa

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:58 am   Re: My turtle has puffy eyes

If you have something strong in vitamin A in liquid form (cod liver oil for example), you can put a drop or two directly on the eyelids. What kid of lighting do you have with the tank?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:18 am   Re: My turtle has puffy eyes

I have heating lamp for reptiles, it says on the lamp, it's 15 or so centimeters above the basking area.
VanjaSasa

Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:11 am   Re: My turtle has puffy eyes

Have you measured the temperature of what it's producing?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:58 pm   Re: My turtle has puffy eyes

Just wanted to tell my baby is perfectly fine now. Antibiotics did their job, I gave Korni A+D3 drops with food, his eyes are normal now. He is healthy and happy and crazier then ever. He has grown, and I also cleaned hos shell and I do it weekly now. I keep water temperature on 28 degrees celsius, its summer here now so I think its enough for now. When it gets colder I’ll raise it a bit.
Attachments
810EC082-F6A5-4DE5-8E4F-C19F6831D192.jpeg
This is my baby now
VanjaSasa

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:02 am   Re: My turtle has puffy eyes

OK. yes the eyes are puffed.
Don't worry yet.

Temperature needs to be maintained (I don't do it, in India temperature at home is ideal for them already).
NO Air conditioning
NO roof fan exposure.

These things kill off humidity that they need.
NO complete RO water.

Mix 50% RO and 50% fresh water. (or the 100% RO water with the level of 70-80) - This much of impurity is must.

This is for prevention in future.
No plastic product in tank (I don't even use a tank, my turtle had lost eyes for 30 days due to cheap plastic tub, now I have a better tub)-mine had no eye balls visible even if I forced opened the eyes, caught RI too. I healed it but you don't need to go in depth right now.

Go fast and get yourself an AZOO eyedrop. put it 3-4 times a day (turtle should dry dock in warm/uvb/sun after eyedrops for about 1-2 hours each time).
Then put it inside the water that should be warm (I mean really warm, 90-95F)
Don't use heater, change water as soon as it cools down with the warmer water, or start with low water level and keep adding warm water as soon as it cools down.
Keep in home or not, don't keep it where humans live (humidity is required as I said-natural humidity, no humidifiers).

Change water 2-3 times a day (don't let it stay inside water for more than 2 hours without changing it no matter you have a filter or not, just change the damn water).

Eyes will improve in no more than 3 days I bet. Increase your water changing cycle.
vishgaur

Return to Urgent Care