Urgent Care :: My turtles eyes are closed while basking

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:20 pm   My turtles eyes are closed while basking

Im new to turtles and mine will do this too. But at night time, if they are still basking, should I leave the light on? Or would that disturb their sleep schedule. Its always at night that I find him basking and I feel so bad for turning the light off.
Kumo15

Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:08 pm   Re: My turtles eyes are closed while basking!! HElp!

I've had him for 13 days. I didn't know anything about turtles before hand, and I've been researching like crazy. The first time that I actually paid attention was probably five days ago. I gave him a bath to clean off the algae, and that was the first time that I notices some rough, dryish areas. They are pearly in the water. I know that UVB is central to turtle health, so I'm asking if I'm not giving enough UVB due to his sleep schedule being different. I also want to say that his lighting has not been consistent when it comes to timing. It will come on when I wake up, and turn off around six, or if I read something that makes me think he needs more. Like shell issues. He closes his eyes while he on the basking area, with the light on, which confuses me. Does he want to sleep with the light on? Turtle needs his sleep! But when?? And how do I change it?
Kumo15

Post Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:29 am   Re: My turtles eyes are closed while basking

I made this into a new topic as the ones you posted to was quite old.

Turtles are like us -- diurnal. Up during the day, sleep at night. Sunrise, turn on your lights and basking lamp. At night, turn them off. Use timers to make it a bit easier for yourself. I often find my RES basking first thing when they are alone and the lights turn on.

What's your setup like?
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care