Urgent Care :: Can anyone please advise... I think my terries have passed.

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:03 am   Can anyone please advise... I think my terries have passed.

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and unfortunately due to some difficult circumstances. I woke up this morning to find both my RES floating motionless in their tank. They were completely stiff but not swollen and at a glance they just looked like they were chilling. They are both super healthy, the one grew 3 times it's original size in just 3 months and they devour their food as soon as it comes.

I keep the tank outside mostly, usually towards the shade but they have morning to mid-day sun. there are no pebbles or anything in the tank, just their 'pride rock' where they would bask and do their turtle yoga.

Yesterday was a particularly hot day, hotter than usual and my husband and I were both at work all day. In the evening they seemed ok, I mean Singapore is hot every day so we didnt think much of it. Now they seem dead!

We took them out and our them in clean fresh coolish water but it's been hours and no movement. they are both in the same position, all legs out almost in a swimming motion (legs directed slightly backwards) and their heads and slightly retracted and eyes closed. There is no smell but they are stiff and don't react to any touch or movement. when I moved the tank this morning, the larger Terry slowly let up some small bubbles, his nose was out of the water but the smaller one's head is submerged.

I'm pretty devastated, turtles are my soul animals! does anyone have any suggestions of things I can try, perhaps there is a way to save them if they aren't already gone...

I feel absolutely horrible and heartbroken, especially if it's because I kept them outside yesterday instead of moving them inside like I sometimes do...

I'll try attach a photo of how they currently look.

Thanks so much.
Attachments
20171202_160224.png
my two loves
Luna

Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:28 pm   Re: Can anyone please advise... I think my terries have pass

How big is the tank? I would probably leave them out of the water at this point and observe. Sorry to hear about your situation.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:43 am   Re: Can anyone please advise... I think my terries have pass

How deep was the water in the tank ?

Overheating is a more common mistake and a more dangerous thing for a reptile than being cold. I am sorry to say this, but your description sounds like rigor mortis. :s
PokePony

Post Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:10 pm   Re: Can anyone please advise... I think my terries have pass

That happened to my turtle - totally unresponsive, but not dead. They can hold their breath for a very long time (hours). One sign of death is that the eyes will sink in. Until then and until you don't see and bubbles, don't give up.
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
penelope

Return to Urgent Care