Page 1 of 1

Please help with 3 sick turtles.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:11 pm
by Attarsmiles
I have 1 four year old, 4 1/2 inch turtle, and 2 two year old 3 inch turtles. I noticed one small wheezing about four days ago but thought he was just expelling air. I was away for two nights and noticed this morning when I went home that all three have mucus around their mouths. The larg one and the other small one have the most, really an excessive amount. They also have air bubbles around their noses and mouths. I noticed the larger one also wheezing slightly.

They are in a 20 gallon tank filled about 2/3 with water heated to 76-78. The air temp is around 84-85. They have a heat lamp and UV lamp with a basking rock and platform. The tank has a 30 gallon rated filter. The tank is about four feet from the window but it is open regularly. They last ate yesterday and ate as usual. They are still very active and alert, and not listing. I emptied the tank and filled it with 86 degree water but am going to get an adjustable heater to raise it properly. I only have one tank so I dont know how to quarantine them.

I know they need a vet and I dont have the money. Please help me with what I should do to have the best chance. Can I dry dock them to quarantine them? I really dont have $1000 to take them to the vet. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: Please help with 3 sick turtles.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:21 pm
by litefoot
Read here :

All three yes need immediate care! Need antibiotics for any chance ! You can raise the air and water by 10* each but at this stage there is no home remedy ! That window that's open regularly , "SHUT IT" , turtles can't handle drafts !

Quarantine each will not help now that all have RI and or pneumonia symptoms.

Call all vets and make a deal for payment , some will work with you. Try any college in area , any classes in reptiles that could help. Locate any rescue centers for help. Even try the SPCA , the Humane Society try !!! You took three living animals as pets into your home you must care for them , try a loan at bank , friends , family ! You must try ! It won't cost $1000 to save them , please give them a chance.

Re: Please help with 3 sick turtles.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:14 am
by PokePony
They are still active so starting the treatment ASAP is essential. They will need energy to fight the infection (that's why higher temp helps). RI is very serious, there is unfortunately nothing we can do here except telling you to see a professional. Even if there was a vet on the forum, running a clear diagnosis can only be done IRL. Even if you want us to tell you more about antibio for your pets; depending if it's a lung infection or a cold, or something else, the treatment varies, and you can't take the risk to just take a guess and give them the wrong medication.
I hope you understand !

Re: Please help with 3 sick turtles.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:03 am
by Kingbird44
Call around to some vets and find out before you rule that out. That is their best chance. It might just be a visit and some antibiotic shots, which wouldn't be that expensive.

Re: Please help with 3 sick turtles.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:26 am
by Kingbird44

Re: Please help with 3 sick turtles.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:00 pm
by litefoot
Attersmile , It's been three days since you posted . Please do not wait until to you see them listing . That's one of the last stages having fluid in one or both lungs. You now have so many other signs already of respiratory infection and if a vet starts treatment now they have a good chance. Waiting around to see if they may get better or waiting for listing to start lessens there chances. Time lost for treatment ! That stage will go into single pneumonia or double pneumonia which in many cases is fatal !
Holiday weekend over , you have so many calls to make please do so , you took in three living animals it's your job to give them that care. If you where a long time turtle keeper I may say try something at home? Then with all the symptoms already even one in hobby a long time would see a vet knowing the seriousness of the problem and not lose time. Not a time to wait or experiment , do it for the turtles. May even find someone who will do treatment free in exchange for volunteer work.