Urgent Care :: Softshell syndrome? Fungus?

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:07 pm   Softshell syndrome? Fungus?

Hi,

I have 2 RES and one of them looks like it has softshell syndrome and fungus? I'm guessing that white stuff in front her shell is fungus. It's been there for a couple months and hasn't seem like it's been spreading. I thought it was just air trapped inside the shell but not too sure. I was hoping you guys would help me determine whether or not it is. If it is, what are possible solutions to help her. I've touched the shell gently and it's hard so I don't know if it's a birth defect or not. One side of the shell is fine, the other seems like it's dented inwards. The other turtle shell is fine and no issues at all. I've been changing their diet to every few days now instead of everyday since they're not hatchlings anymore. It's been 1 year since i've had them. Also, if it is fungus, what should i do to help her? Thanks!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that she eats fine. She bathes in the lights. She swims. She's excited to see me everyday.
Attachments
IMG_20171024_171120_1.jpg
IMG_20171024_171111_1.jpg
IMG_20171024_171106_1.jpg
IMG_20171024_171056_1.jpg
IMG_20171023_000314_1.jpg
IMG_20171023_000309_1.jpg
Armoredx

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:20 am   Re: Softshell syndrome? Fungus?

I'll let expert litefoot and steve fill you up on fungi because I've never treated that before.

Her shell gets darker scute by scute so I would think it's normal, because RES shells get darker with time. Maybe I'm saying something very wrong, but idk. The dark markings look very regular, and it would be weird if it was due to an infection ?

You do have a bit of little bit of pyramiding but nothing very bad. Just cut down a bit on food. (: i don't know about irregularities ? My female RES was born with irregular scutes so her shell is a bit 'wavy' compared to her brother.
PokePony

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:28 pm   Re: Softshell syndrome? Fungus?

Does look like fungus, I'm surprised it hasnt spread more. Treat it quickly but they are aggressive problems. Cut down on the food like PokePony mentions.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:42 pm   Re: Softshell syndrome? Fungus?

If both your turtles are in same tank check both it's a contagious problem. You will see it much better if you let both dry off completely rather than being wet. If only one has this problem separate them so other doesn't get it. Type fungus treatment in search box for details. You should give the tank a Good Cleaning being it starts as a microscopic problem in the water. May want to treat both as a precaution. Also watch the water (80*) and the basking temps (90*) so they can bask correctly. With a heat lamp and a UVB lamp. Will help prevent this issue from recurring and cleaning the tank is a must.

Yes , adjust there diet should be at this size on 50-70% veggies.
litefoot

Return to Urgent Care