Urgent Care :: turtle vomited gravel and not eating

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:20 am   turtle vomited gravel and not eating

Hello,
I added a new res to my tank a month ago. His eating habits have been unusual, he doesn't eat much some times. In the last week i noticed that his diet has dropped very much ( he ate 4-5 pellets a day only ) he also had not passed stools form a few days too. i tried warm water soaks 2-3 times but he didn't poop!. A vet told me to give him a drop of stool softener ( contains mineral oil) after a day he started eating normally ! for two days he ate fine . day three he vomited his food ! i found a small pice of gravel in his vomit!
He as stoped eating since then ( 2 days ).
I took him to a vet hospital and insisted a X-ray . they gave me the x ray but they weren't sure about what it was and had no treatment ( no herp vets in my town). Can anyone please take a look at the X-ray and suggest what it could be ? any treatment if possible ?
He as pooped after he vomited. he swims fine but is less energetic.

tank size : 125 gallon
temp : 80 degrees f
basking temp : 90 d
i have sand at the bottom of my tank ( no gravel )

Thanks
Attachments
9330 fracture tibia1.jpg
x ray
akababan

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:33 pm   Re: turtle vomited gravel and not eating

Cool x-ray but it looks like there are some more rocks. He might be eating it once it's pooped out.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:42 am   Re: turtle vomited gravel and not eating

Hello,
Thank you Steve. Do you think he can pass them ? Should I try feeding him castor oil or mineral oil?
Update : he ate a lil today .
akababan

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:38 am   Re: turtle vomited gravel and not eating

I'm not sure, but it doesn't seem as much as to the ones I've seen previously. The first procedure is usually a warm soak, next would be some mineral oil added to food.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:51 pm   Re: turtle vomited gravel and not eating

A tip for next time: Never put gravel in a turtle tank. They eat it, and can die from it. Instead, put in large river stones, or maybe nothing at all.
Agate The Turtle<3
AgateTheTurtle

Post Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:35 am   Re: turtle vomited gravel and not eating

Hello,
I wanted to post an update guys. I feed some shrimps soaked in mineral oil to my turtle and gave him warm water soaks for a few days. He pooped two pieces of gravel after two days and is eating fine now! although i guess there are more than two pieces of gravel visible in the X-ray . i found another big pice of gravel lying on the bottom of my tanks yesterday with i think he has pooped.
Thank you & regards
Akash
akababan

Post Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:10 pm   Re: turtle vomited gravel and not eating

Great to hear, thanks for the update!
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care