Urgent Care :: Is This Shell ROT or Any Kind Of Infection ?? Please Help !!

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:44 am   Is This Shell ROT or Any Kind Of Infection ?? Please Help !!

My RES is having RED Marks on his shell ( as seen in the picture )

is it shell rot or some kind of infection ??

He Is Mainly seen in the basking area these days

He Is active and is eating well also.

There is one more RES with him in the same tank . Is this a spreading disease ?

How shall i treat him ?

is there any home made first aids that i can give.

is this a dangerous disease ?

please help i am really sad seeing him like this ...

There aren't much vets who treat Turtles here that's the main problem so if there is any homemade cure for it please suggest

Thank You
Attachments
rsz_up2.jpg
rsz_up1.jpg
Pics of my turtle's shell
Nithz
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mar 23, 2016
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:55 am   Re: Is This Shell ROT or Any Kind Of Infection ?? Please Hel

Looks like fungus, hard to tell when the shell is wet. Can you post some pics of it dry? Also there is some pyramiding, you need to keep the diet in check.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 29026
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:33 am   Re: Is This Shell ROT or Any Kind Of Infection ?? Please Hel

steve wrote:Looks like fungus, hard to tell when the shell is wet. Can you post some pics of it dry? Also there is some pyramiding, you need to keep the diet in check.


Sure i will take photos when it is dry and i will post

i am feeding turtle pellets these days what else shall i feed him ?
Nithz
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mar 23, 2016
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:27 pm   Re: Is This Shell ROT or Any Kind Of Infection ?? Please Hel

Use less pellets, more plants... http://www.redearslider.com/plants.html
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 29026
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:10 pm   Re: Is This Shell ROT or Any Kind Of Infection ?? Please Hel

steve wrote:Use less pellets, more plants... http://www.redearslider.com/plants.html


Thank You So Much
Nithz
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mar 23, 2016
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:45 am   Re: Is This Shell ROT or Any Kind Of Infection ?? Please Hel

No prob. I wold also gently clean the shell and get a close look at it... look for any potential problems and just get an overall picture of it.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 29026
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:34 am   Re: Is This Shell ROT or Any Kind Of Infection ?? Please Hel

steve wrote:No prob. I wold also gently clean the shell and get a close look at it... look for any potential problems and just get an overall picture of it.
Attachments
rsz_1dsc.jpg
Please See That Area Marked In Red
rsz_dsc09383.jpg
The Detailed Pic Of My Turtle Shell
Nithz
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mar 23, 2016
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:49 am   Re: Is This Shell ROT or Any Kind Of Infection ?? Please Hel

Ok, it does look like rot from the new pics. The previous pictures look like the pink was over the scute, but now it looks more like exposed bone layer. There still needs to be some shedding, but usually when the infection is under the scutes, you will need to have a vet's help. Antibiotics and possibly debridement will be required.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 29026
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:47 pm   Re: Is This Shell ROT or Any Kind Of Infection ?? Please Hel

steve wrote:Ok, it does look like rot from the new pics. The previous pictures look like the pink was over the scute, but now it looks more like exposed bone layer. There still needs to be some shedding, but usually when the infection is under the scutes, you will need to have a vet's help. Antibiotics and possibly debridement will be required.



there arent any vets in my place who treats Turtles

and what all medicines shall i use to cure it ?

will it heal all by itself ? this same one had ear abescaa and it got healed within few days

shall i keep my turtle in Isolation ?

there is one more in the tank
Nithz
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mar 23, 2016
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:02 pm   Re: Is This Shell ROT or Any Kind Of Infection ?? Please Hel

Yes, keep it in a separate tank. As for treatments, I don't know... and zoos with reptile departments or veterinary schools near you? Maybe a regular vet can offer a referral.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 29026
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:07 am   Re: Is This Shell ROT or Any Kind Of Infection ?? Please Hel

steve wrote:Yes, keep it in a separate tank. As for treatments, I don't know... and zoos with reptile departments or veterinary schools near you? Maybe a regular vet can offer a referral.


Thank You Soo Much

I Will Check Those :)
Nithz
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mar 23, 2016
Gender: Male


Return to Urgent Care

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests