Urgent Care :: Shell rot or is this normal?

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:04 pm   Shell rot or is this normal?

Hey, forum! Today I took a red ear slider from some people who no longer wanted him. They cared about him, but didn't have him in great conditions. He's been kept in a baby pool with a basking log during warm days outside and nights in a 20 gallon with only water and gravel. He's about 7 inches from one end of the shell to the other so a 20 gallon was clearly too small. During cold months (which lasts a few months per year here), he was kept in the 20 gallon 100% of the time. He had no UVB nor basking lamp at this time.

So do you think those discolored spots on his shell are normal or he has some sort of shell rot or other issue going on? They said he's going through shed right now, not sure if that's related. A couple scutes have already come off.

^76C72ACF1616C6218BD400802CCB5BB71C7577AF0FBC4374A2^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

^7FE4E428EC67F2A290AEE3F7D485002D73B6B3E56631FD93C5^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
alexgreen

Post Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:05 pm   Re: Shell rot or is this normal?

Welcome to the forum! Yes, there is some shedding going on, but there does seem to some white fungus too. Since that stuff spreads quickly, I would probably treat it as soon as you can. I would get rid of the gravel too, either go with sand or a bare bottom.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:49 am   Re: Shell rot or is this normal?

Hello first time on this site . Joined because I have a question about my turtles shell. She is a red eared slider, about 5-6 inch shell, had her since she was 1.5-2 inch . Haven't had any issues with shell until I moved recently. Has almost like a white buildup on her shell. I do have hard water so my neighbours tell me but I also use a water additive every water change. I have two sliders in the same tank and the other isn't showing any of the same symptoms. 160gL stock tank pond filter and pump.
Mac n Cuda

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:05 pm   Re: Shell rot or is this normal?

Can you post a picture of it? It's most likely fungus. If it were mineral deposits, both turtles will show it. And fungus will spread, it's only a matter of time.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care