Urgent Care :: Sores on his back Legs!

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:30 am   Sores on his back Legs!

First, let me start by saying I just moved from Boston to Cincinnati. I'm still waiting for the movers to deliver my furniture, including Melvin's 40 gallon tank. While they were packing up my stuff they had already packed his heat lamp and UV lamp before I had a chance to put it in a separate pile. He's been living in a 10 gallon tank with a small filter and unfortunately very little UV. He's a big boy and there is no room to bask in that little tank. I've been bringing him out onto my balcony at least an hour a day when possible but I know that's not enough UV. I feel terrible! :(

Yesterday when I was changing the water in the small tank I noticed these sores on the back of his legs (see pictures). I have him dry docked right now and hanging out on the balcony so at least he can get some sun and dry out some. I've read that this could be due to lack of UV and basking, but also too small of a space. I know it could also be due to an infection or fungus. The rest of his shell and his skin looks fine, there's just these two identical sores on his back legs.

626201692836.jpg
626201692836.jpg (32.75 KiB) Viewed 1997 times

626201692852.jpg

I was considering bringing him to the vet, but was going to try some at home remedies first. I was going to get some Betadine to clean it out and maybe a sulfa dip from PetSmart? Any other recommendations would be really awesome!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
How big is your turtle? His show is about 8 inches from top to bottom
How long have you had it? I've had him for almost 13 years and never had a problem like this!

What is the water temperature? The water temperature in the small 10 gallon tank is 78 degrees
Did you use a thermometer? Yes
Are you using a water heater? Yes
How much water is in there? About 4 inches
Are you using a water conditioner? Yes
Are you using any filtration? Yes in the small tank just a small filter however but I've been changing the water every couple days

What is the basking temperature? Unfortunately there isn't any basking area, and he's been in that tank for about a week and a half.

What have you been trying to feed it? He get pellets every other day. He's not really a fan of green leafy veg... will take one bite and spit it out. I give him other vegetables when I can and fruit on occasion. He also gets a little Feeder minnows every once in awhile, with the last occasion about 5 days ago.
When was the last time your turtle ate? He got some pellets yesterday. I haven't noticed any change in appetite.

How big is the tank/pond/enclosure? 10 gallon, normally 40
Is the tank near a window? No
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity? Yes, but we just moved
Is there any other unusual activity/symptoms? Nothing out of the ordinary yet. He is dry docked and not happy about being in a little container
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

626201693922.jpg
Melvin and his sister!
RES_Melvin

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:41 am   Re: Sores on his back Legs!

I'd just try some dry docking with Neosporin and Betadine first.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care