Urgent Care :: Scute Shedding vs. Shell Rot

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:20 pm   Scute Shedding vs. Shell Rot

I was cleaning the turtle tank this morning and noticed a scute from her shell in the bottom of the tank. just wondering how to tell if this is normal shedding or possible shell rot. it's just 1 scute from the middle of her shell, the rest of her shell seems ok (i'm obviously no expert though :P). thanks!
YonkasTone

Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:40 am   Re: Scute Shedding vs. Shell Rot

Shell rot doesn't normally shed... it's more like an infected area of the shell and surrounding tissue. If it's a thin, translucent piece, then she's fine.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:03 pm   Re: Scute Shedding vs. Shell Rot

I'm thinking it's just shedding. I got home from work and it isn't as bad as I thought. I attached a couple of pictures to show what I'm talking about. I touched that spot and a couple other spots and it doesn't seem soft or to cause her any pain when I touch it. There were some spots that were softer than others and I also found something in between some of the scutes that i'm not sure if it's anything or not (3rd pic).

YonkasTone

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:00 am   Re: Scute Shedding vs. Shell Rot

The first 2 pics look fine, I'd check out what's going on in the 3rd pic. My turtle had an infection when her scutes took a long time to shed, and gunk had built up under there. Get a new toothbrush and gently clean that area, let dry and take another look.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care