Urgent Care :: LOPSIDED SWIMMING, BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:34 pm   LOPSIDED SWIMMING, BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE

Yes, this is nothing new, however I am in a bit of a pickle. I have a red eared slider, Mr. President. I have been the owner of Mr. President for roughly 4 years. He(?) is a very hardy turtle for a turtle that I bought from one of those souvenir beach shops in Florida. Currently, I am keeping him in a 40(ish) gallon tank and I regularly feed him small round RES pellets, however, because I am only at my dad's house (i.e the house where my turtle resides) every other week, I like to keep a generous supply of feeder fish in his tank. And yes, I am aware that these cheap fish could carry parasites. I have returned from my mom's house to find that the light for his tank had gone out (I was using a regular light bulb, which might be the reason why he is presumably ill.) He is currently swimming lopsided. My father and I are investing in a new light bulb that is more suitable for his care. He also has a white speck on his shell. I would take him to some sort of vet, however, there's a catch.
I live in Tennessee, currently, there are laws outlawing the ownership of turtles due to the hazards of salmonella, so I am not entirely sure there will be many veterinary offices offering turtle services. I am desperate for any sort of advice or insight, also, is there a way to order RES medication online?
bbreadstickss

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:03 pm   Re: LOPSIDED SWIMMING, BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE

Very tricky situation, can you go out of state? I would discretely ask around... rescues, local herp organizations might be able to refer you to someone. You can slightly increase water temperatures and see what happens. You also need to decide what you want to do about his housing.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care