Urgent Care :: Weird black scute outlining...

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:03 am   Weird black scute outlining...

So first off, I'm a beginner. I got my turtle 3 days ago. He's a red ear slider, about 1.5 inches. Ever since he started going under the basking spot, there's been this weird black outline on his shell. Some info: i dont have a UVB bulb yet, i've been taking him outside in a large plastic container and letting him get natural sunlight (is this ok even though he's very small?). Also, i dont have a filter yet so i've been changing his water daily.

is this shell rot? shedding? too much basking exposure? he's been going in the water a lot too.

i also bought him a turtle bone that he has been eating (cuttlebone - yes, i've taken off the back), will the calcium help?
Attachments
shell.jpg
KidSmasher

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:44 am   Re: Weird black scute outlining...

I'm not sure... usually when it's dark around the seams, it's an indication of fast growth. Some of darkness seems random. Any behavioral changes? Is he eating his food?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:25 pm   Re: Weird black scute outlining...

steve wrote:I'm not sure... usually when it's dark around the seams, it's an indication of fast growth. Some of darkness seems random. Any behavioral changes? Is he eating his food?

Yeah he's still eating. i feed him Zoo med hatchling pellets, about as much as would fit in his head if it were hollow.
KidSmasher

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:06 pm   Re: Weird black scute outlining...

I'd do about 2/3 of that amount. Any chance anyone might be sneaking him food/treats?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:25 am   Re: Weird black scute outlining...

steve wrote:I'd do about 2/3 of that amount. Any chance anyone might be sneaking him food/treats?

Alright I'll feed him 2/3rd's of that, and no, I don't think anyone is sneaking him food. None of my family members have been really interested in him, and either way they know that I've been taking care of him and have a regime. Plus, he's in my room and no one is really in the house during the day either.
KidSmasher

Return to Urgent Care