Urgent Care :: Help with antibiotics

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:44 pm   Help with antibiotics

My red-eared slider began to show signs of an RI a few days ago. Lethargic, no appetite and he blew a few bubbles while out of the water. Honestly, he only blew 3 bubbles in the entire time that we were watching over him. We took him to a local vet and she said that he looked very healthy but that she was going to start him on antibiotics, just in case, even though she wasn't totally convinced that it was an RI. She explained to us that since he's only 2 inches or so in size, it would be hard to administer the antibiotics orally. She opted to give him a shot. She sent us home with the antibiotics and explained that we could give him the shot or that we could come back in and they would do it. The other option was to put the antibiotic in food and feed it to him. Yesterday he began to eat again, is very active and begging for food. He seems to be back to normal. I realize that usually finishing the antibiotics is best (may call the vet in the morning and ask her opinion). I really don't want to take him back for an injection though. He was so scared when they gave him a shot and didn't move his back leg for a couple minutes. Any suggestions on what food might work to inject the antibiotic? We considered banana, but it sinks in the tank, so that probably won't work. Cooked shrimp might be an option? Thank you.

P.S. He doesn't seem to want to eat outside of his tank.
rev84tam

Post Posted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:10 pm   Re: Help with antibiotics

What kind of medication is it? I would also reconsider administering it but also you need to find out what cause those problems a few days ago.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:39 pm   Re: Help with antibiotics

Baytril 22.7 mg/ml is what the prescription says.
rev84tam

Post Posted: Sun May 22, 2016 1:14 pm   Re: Help with antibiotics

Baytril will suppress an appetite. I've heard of people injecting their meds into worms as a delivery system, though I have not tried it.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care