Urgent Care :: Leg abrasion

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:04 pm   Leg abrasion

I am caring for our school's red ear slider, Tron. He seems to have been biting at his front leg, to the point that he has nipped off all the scales and the flesh is pink and exposed. It doesn't appear to be infected, but obviously the more irritated it is, the more likely he will continue to chew at it.

What would you recommend for treatment? I have some silver sulfadiazine on hand. Any best practices would be appreciated!
Napoleon - Western Painted Turtle
Apollo - Eastern Box Turtle
Moxie - Painted Turtle Mutt
RIP Hercules

Katie

I heart my herpies!
Starchick

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2016 11:16 pm   Re: Leg abrasion

Hi Katie, how have ya been? My male RES does this, but closer to the nail area. He used to do this to his resin dock, until I saw him chip his beak and I took it out. I would try the dry dock and cream since it's exposed. To be honest, I'm not sure how to make it stop when he heals. Hopefully it's just a phase.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:53 am   Re: Leg abrasion

Agreed dry docking with cream. silver sulfadiazine is one of the very best healing promoting gel / creams that are out there on the market today recommended and used by medical professionals everywhere. I am with Steve as well in the hope that this is just a phase at this point. Iodosorb is also a very good one encase certain members can not easily obtain silver sulfadiazine as you have been blessed with on having it on hand.

Wishing you the best Katie. It is nice to see the older members like you come back to post on the forums.
Confirmed Sexed Pair of Albino Red Ear Sliders, Baby Albino and Hybino Red Ear Slider and Adult Normal Male Red Ear Slider
Tampa Bay Turtle Fan

Post Posted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:21 pm   Re: Leg abrasion

Thank you!
Napoleon - Western Painted Turtle
Apollo - Eastern Box Turtle
Moxie - Painted Turtle Mutt
RIP Hercules

Katie

I heart my herpies!
Starchick

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:12 am   Re: Leg abrasion

You are welcome.
Confirmed Sexed Pair of Albino Red Ear Sliders, Baby Albino and Hybino Red Ear Slider and Adult Normal Male Red Ear Slider
Tampa Bay Turtle Fan

Return to Urgent Care