Urgent Care :: Turtle shell flippin' up!!??

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:12 pm   Turtle shell flippin' up!!??

Take a look this normal?
Imageu
Maxtegroom

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:08 pm   Re: Turtle shell flippin' up!!??

What you have here is clear visual signs of a calcium deficiency and being that the turtle is still fairly young and it is in the very early stages of it, you may be able to correct some of this bit not all. What are you currently feeding this little gem? Diet has to play a big factor of it and also keep in mind that with showing these signs, a food reduction will clearly be needed. Now Steve himself is much better than I am on their diets and I would suggest that he advises you in the diet strongly. But reduction in non processed foods would help with leaning more so with selected vegetables, cuttlebone and natural foods primarily. I am in no way saying to eliminate processed food but do cut back on it.

The cuttlebone will start the ongoing and slow process of the signs of the calcium deficiency.
Confirmed Sexed Pair of Albino Red Ear Sliders, Baby Albino and Hybino Red Ear Slider and Adult Normal Male Red Ear Slider
Tampa Bay Turtle Fan

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2016 1:30 pm   Re: Turtle shell flippin' up!!??

Lettuce in the morning
Pellets almost the size of his head at night
Cuddle fish bone 1/4 of the bone per week
Feeder fish once a month
Maxtegroom

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2016 2:01 pm   Re: Turtle shell flippin' up!!??

It really sounds like you are doing everything right. hmmmmm interesting, I am interested on seeing more into the diet itself by Steve, I am totally puzzled at this point. Looking on how the shell is turning upwards are signs of a calcium deficiency but according to your comment on the amounts has me a bit puzzled. I also visually observed the carapace of course in general and it is questionable to with possible signs. It really needs to be investigated a bit further with the areas and diet I would take it.
Confirmed Sexed Pair of Albino Red Ear Sliders, Baby Albino and Hybino Red Ear Slider and Adult Normal Male Red Ear Slider
Tampa Bay Turtle Fan

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2016 4:51 pm   Re: Turtle shell flippin' up!!??

Well it's kind of a new diet. He's about 8 months old 4in long. And up until a few weeks ago he'd get pellets morning and night lettuce every other day and not so much cuddle bone. But he's loves to bask feet stretched way out and everything so he is getting the d3 I have a reptosun 5.0 13w 8-10in away and 90-92 degree basking temp. I'm hoping with this new diet and huge tank well get this shell straightened out.
Would you recommend maybe mixing in different kinds of pellets along with the reptomin? Also maybe a few different greens?
All in all you can tell he's happy and healthy he's very active.
Maxtegroom

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2016 5:00 pm   Re: Turtle shell flippin' up!!??

Here's a lil better pic. Lil indent on his side. Since the new diet his shell has looked a lil better
Attachments
image.jpeg
Maxtegroom

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2016 5:05 pm   Re: Turtle shell flippin' up!!??

Also by looking the the feet can you tell me if turtley is male or female I wanna say male?
Maxtegroom

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:45 pm   Re: Turtle shell flippin' up!!??

I'd likely a combination of diet and calcium/UVB. Mainly, the diet needs to be very consistent and reduce the amount of protein... pellets maybe about 1/3 head size. The screen is probably blocking some of the UVB. Skip the fish and any treats. Any chance people are sneaking him food?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:15 pm   Re: Turtle shell flippin' up!!??

No one is sneaking him food however I think before I was just over feeding him.. I'll cut down the pellets even. More and this weekend I'll fashion something to hand the lights get rid of the screen.. Thank for the response any other suggestion
Maxtegroom

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:37 pm   Re: Turtle shell flippin' up!!??

You can still use a screen, I think most try to shoot for a 1/2" grid space.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:53 pm   Re: Turtle shell flippin' up!!??

Ok good I'm not good at drilling [----] into the wall!!! I'll keep you guys posted
Maxtegroom

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:09 am   Re: Turtle shell flippin' up!!??

It doesn't need to be on the wall :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:14 pm   Re: Turtle shell flippin' up!!??

Question about cuddle fish bone? I've been breaking it up should I just toss in a 1/4 of the bone and let him go to town?
Maxtegroom

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:33 am   Re: Turtle shell flippin' up!!??

Remove the hard backing (butter knife is helpful) and you can put in small pieces or leave larger ones... up to you. I don't use it anymore.. my RES have lost interest in them.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:11 am   Re: Turtle shell flippin' up!!??

Ok cool for the time being ill put in tiny piece he seems to enjoy them. And I found a really sharp pointy knife works great just gotta be careful. Thanks for your help. I'll keep posting updated/concerns he seems to be accepting his new diet still very active
Maxtegroom

Next

Return to Urgent Care