Urgent Care :: Possible internal parasite of red eared slider—pic/vid avail

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:03 pm   Possible internal parasite of red eared slider—pic/vid avail

Hi all,

I need help identifying what is the species of parasite as shown in the picture/video. The "worms" are red in colour and really tiny—perhaps 1/10th to 1/5th the size of the standard midge larvae (bloodworms).
I am worried that my turtle Tsavorite may have a case of parasite infestation; hopefully this species is harmless and is a common filter dweller.

Details about her and her habitat:
- 3 years+ old, 7.5 inch shell, 1kg female slider.
- ReptiGlo 5.0 25W UVB light is used, approximately 30cm away from the nearest edge of the basking platform.
- 108 gallon pond, but half-filled. Eheim 2217 filter.
- Climate in my town is always ranging from 25 to 33 degrees Celsius, so temperature is not an issue.
- 80% water change once a fortnight, so water cleanliness should not be an issue.

Key point to note: Tsavorite is behaving absolutely normally, appetite is good, and she basks and sleeps as per usual.
Also, the first time I saw these little worms was a few weeks ago. However, I do not know if they have been there since I got the slider 3 years ago.

Pictures: See attachment
Video (clearer than pictures): https://youtu.be/-rfyUBgj6HE

Thank you guys very much for the help!!!
Attachments
unspecified2.jpg
iPhone 6S for comparison of the size of the sponge.
unspecified.jpg
Worms are red, as seen against the dark yellow pre-filter sponge background.
BryantChang

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:43 pm   Re: Possible internal parasite of red eared slider—pic/vid a

I can't watch the video now, but these are usually fly larvae. Try to grab a fresh stool sample and inspect it or take it a vet and have them analyze it.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:47 pm   Re: Possible internal parasite of red eared slider—pic/vid a

Alright, thank you Steve. Do let me know once you have watched the video. These worms are so tiny though. Meanwhile, I'll try to scoop her poop.
BryantChang

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:33 pm   Re: Possible internal parasite of red eared slider—pic/vid a

I might not have access for a couple of weeks. If they are parasites, it will show up in the poop though.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:37 am   Re: Possible internal parasite of red eared slider—pic/vid a

Ok, thank you:-)
BryantChang

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:57 pm   Re: Possible internal parasite of red eared slider—pic/vid a

Another thing... parasites don't normally survive long outside of the host. You might want to collect some and see if they develop.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:09 pm   Re: Possible internal parasite of red eared slider—pic/vid a

Oo.. I have not netted any of her poop yet. Will catch some of those worms instead and update here!
BryantChang

Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:13 am   Re: Possible internal parasite of red eared slider—pic/vid a

I'm with Steve. That active, I watched te video, and in the sponge like that, those are living on the bio matter they can get. I don't think they are parasitic.

Except for the color, they make me think of detritus worms. Maybe they are, but they've been eating something dark?
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:41 pm   Re: Possible internal parasite of red eared slider—pic/vid a

Thank you ljapa. After you mentioned detritus worms, they do look like those worms to me. Hmm, the turtle pellets and turtle poop are brown in colour.
BryantChang

Return to Urgent Care