Urgent Care :: Sheldon is not eating

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:03 am   Sheldon is not eating

So all of a sudden Sheldon is not eating. Now I have checked the water and basking temps and everything is in the kosher range. Our weather around here did take a big shift from freaking freezing to balmy (especially for March and before St. Patty's Day). Of course this change is starting today and basically she stopped eating last week Wednesday. Now, I thought about her may be being gravid but other than not eating, she isn't displaying the crazy attempts to get out of her tank. She's basking like normal and stopped being mopey about a month ago. I do have to clean the tank this weekend, so I suppose that could be it but she's never done it before.

Anyone have any thoughts?
1 RES - A girl named Sheldon
1 feeder fish - affectionately named Fishy - RIP 5/27/12
cutepanda86

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:14 pm   Re: Sheldon is not eating

How long has it been since you did a water change? Have you tried any other foods/treats? My male RES hasn't touched his greens all winter, so it might just a change of tastes.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:52 pm   Re: Sheldon is not eating

Well I did a water change last week around the same time that Sheldon stopped eating. She has been avoiding her lettuce like the plague which doesn't surprise me as last winter she refused her lettuce as well. I'm about 3/4 of the way through her pellet container and she has been eating them right along until last week Wednesday. I do have another container of pellets that I could try and see if she will go for them. Part of the issue is that she ignored her shrimp ball that I gave her too, which she has never turned down, so it is making me wonder if there is something else going on.
cutepanda86

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:01 pm   Re: Sheldon is not eating

I'd continue to try the other stuff. Does she still beg or is she just ignoring everything? Are her tank temps stable? What's the run down when you do a water change?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:06 pm   Re: Sheldon is not eating

I think I shall be trying the other food tomorrow. She isn't begging and the temps are stable. As for water changes, between the furnace running like crazy and making the water evaporate, and swapping some water, she seems fine. I'll be cleaning the filter by Saturday at the latest and that perks her up when she feels out of sorts.
cutepanda86

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:15 pm   Re: Sheldon is not eating

Do you replace the carbon too? Last time both my RES were in a mood and I held them overnight when I did a change. I replaced the carbon too and all the freshwater seemed to perk them up.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:20 pm   Re: Sheldon is not eating

I replace the carbon every time I clean the filter. Usually the only thing I don't change (unless they look like they need it) is the bionodes and the big filter foams. She usually does perk up after each filter change.
cutepanda86

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:29 am   Re: Sheldon is not eating

How is the UV light? If that's going it can cause some unusual behaviors.
prowler-purple

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:33 am   Re: Sheldon is not eating

That is a very good point prowler-purple. Regrettably I replaced the bulb last month so I don't think it is that. Sheldon is still basking as well. Thanks though. :)
cutepanda86

Return to Urgent Care