Urgent Care :: Musk Turtle isn't eating and sleeping a lot more

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:58 pm   Re: Musk Turtle isn't eating and sleeping a lot more

Shedding scutes.. the top layer of shell plating. Cleanings.. get a soft toothbrush and use a solution of 50% water / 50% betadine or chlorhexidine to gently scrub the shell, then rinse.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:39 am   Re: Musk Turtle isn't eating and sleeping a lot more

steve wrote:Shedding scutes.. the top layer of shell plating. Cleanings.. get a soft toothbrush and use a solution of 50% water / 50% betadine or chlorhexidine to gently scrub the shell, then rinse.

Oh, ok.

Yes, I cleaned the tank and I saw lots of pieces of shell on the bottom.
logo897

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:09 pm   Re: Musk Turtle isn't eating and sleeping a lot more

Does cleaning the turtle prevent the shell from tearing? I'm a bit confused
logo897

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:25 am   Re: Musk Turtle isn't eating and sleeping a lot more

The cleaning is only to help if there is a possible infection and offers you a chance to inspect the shell. A healthy shell will do it's own thing by itself.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:50 pm   Re: Musk Turtle isn't eating and sleeping a lot more

Ok and I found the turtle in the first pic is called a false map turtle. Why is her skin shedding like crazy?

And thank you I will clean the turtle. the turtle in the 2nd picture, how do I prevent the pyramids from getting worse? Will cleaning do the job? Or will it just only prevent sickness and infection? Thanks and sorry I'm new to this :(
logo897

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:50 pm   Re: Musk Turtle isn't eating and sleeping a lot more

I'm researching too but I like coming here for help as well
logo897

Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:15 pm   Re: Musk Turtle isn't eating and sleeping a lot more

The turtles needs to shed. Cleaning is to hopefully not make it any worse.
steve
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Urgent Care