Urgent Care :: New turtle owner, couple of days later SWOLLEN eyes!!

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:41 am   New turtle owner, couple of days later SWOLLEN eyes!!

So as the title mentions, I'm a new owner of 2 very small RES, and I already began to notice their swollen eyes and them almost always having their eyes closed. I went online to search about this topic and one of the main reasons listed was that the condition of the water isn't good for them. I use normal tap water, so I figured out I should dechlorinate the water. One more thing, since I bought the turtles during my Christmas vacation, they have been barely getting any light ( which I heard is essential for them ) since I have been waking up in the late after noons. Today I decided to put them in a very small tank outside on the balcony and this way they would get their light needs and also this would dechlorinate the water. I don't think they have been eating too since I always put a piece of lettuce inside their tank and its always in the same condition. When I first got them they weren't like this at all, and I think I damaged them with my ignorance about this topic. Please help guys, as I really care about the health of animals in all and now about the health of these baby turtles.
iTzH0KaN

Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:14 pm   Re: New turtle owner, couple of days later SWOLLEN eyes!!

How long have you had them? Stick with the pellets/dead prey/live prey at first to get them to eat. I'd also try either cod liver oil or zoo med reptile eye drops. What kind of lighting are you using?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:21 pm   Re: New turtle owner, couple of days later SWOLLEN eyes!!

steve wrote:How long have you had them? Stick with the pellets/dead prey/live prey at first to get them to eat. I'd also try either cod liver oil or zoo med reptile eye drops. What kind of lighting are you using?

I have had them for around a week now, I still can't get a proper tank for them so I'm sticking to a small plastic one for now, it isn't that small though. I have put some rocks inside and a small tree for them. The thing is I have both some floating pellets and lettuce and other stuff, I tried feeding them both but they won't eat.. And today, as I was thinking that they aren't getting proper light from the sun, I thought about keeping them out on the balcony, this way the tap water gets dechlorinated and this way they recieve the light they need. And then get them in when it's about night time. Also, I change the water everyday, but until recently I have found that I should dechlorinate the water and I searched and found out that if I leave the water outside the sun will dechlorinate it. Any ideas/help? I was thinking about filling many water bottles for the entire week and leave them outside and each day use one, since I don't have a filtration system and I change their water everyday. Any suggestions? I really want to fix their swollen eyes problem
iTzH0KaN

Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:33 pm   Re: New turtle owner, couple of days later SWOLLEN eyes!!

If they can't see, they won't eat. If the water has chlorine, it will evaporate and doesn't need to be in the Sun. 12-24 hours should do it.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care