Urgent Care :: 1 of the 2 Turtles won't bask

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:44 am   1 of the 2 Turtles won't bask

Hi,

I have 2 RES around 5 yrs of age.

we recently got a new aquarium for them that's 75G and a new basking platform. The old aquarium and the platform were too small for them.
The Female turtle Milo (with us for 4-5 yrs) wants to bask all the time. on the other hand, the male turtle Pinto wants to stay in the water all the time. Pinto really needs to bask as his shell has started to rot i think.

I don't think the problem is with the platform or the temperature as Milo is Basking. Please help me get Pinto to bask.

Thanks
Milo: 5 in RES, Female
Pinto: 4.5 in RES, Male
Milo-Pinto

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:05 pm   Re: 1 of the 2 Turtles won't bask

Is it possible that Pinto is harassing Milo? Is there enough room for both?

The shell rot issue would be another matter, one that warrants separation and treatment.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:54 pm   Re: 1 of the 2 Turtles won't bask

Hi

apologies for the late reply.

So the moment i posted this, Pinto started basking. I realised, he is a shy Turtle and won't bask when someone is around. Now the problem is, i am a stay at home mom, with a very active 17 mo old and can not keep my son away from the tank. So Pinto gets very lil time here and there to bask (mostly when my son is taking his nap). Milo isn't as shy and dosn't care for people around.

they are currently in a 75 Gallon tank that we bought on thanksgiving. The previous tank was a 20G with a much smaller basking platform, so they could not bask properly :(

Now my questions are
1) can i treat them with the way shown in this ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnCYQJODI1E ) video?
2) can i use some plastic plants from Dollar store (on the basking platform) to make them feel more secure? or do i need to buy them from a pet store only. is there a difference? coz my turtles are really aggressive and would try to bite everything.
Attachments
image1 (1).JPG
image2 (1).JPG
Milo-Pinto

Post Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:32 pm   Re: 1 of the 2 Turtles won't bask

I don't have any answers to your questions, but just wanted to mention how cute your second pic is.. I guess they really like each other Huh?? Love it.. 8)
Midland Painted--Philbert--SIP :(
1-2 1/4" Mississippi Map Turtle(Male)--Atlas
1-2 1/2" Western Painted Turtle (male)--Titan
40 gallon tank
unclejoe

Post Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:45 pm   Re: 1 of the 2 Turtles won't bask

I think it's more likely your turtles have retained scutes and fungus than shell rot.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:00 pm   Re: 1 of the 2 Turtles won't bask

Humnn...

So now what should I do for the fungus? Especially for Pinto, as he won't bask much :(

Also, is it okay that Milo is basking all the time? i.e. 12+ hrs a day?
Milo-Pinto

Post Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:20 pm   Re: 1 of the 2 Turtles won't bask

You can check out the Care pages on the main redearslider.com website, there should be a good set of dry-docking/fungus treatment guidelines.

Some turtles do bask a lot, although >12 hours a day is a bit strange. There are a lot of potential factors, and they are not mutually exclusive. Your water may be too cold, your turtle might be gravid (if female), there could be too much chlorine and/or chloramines in the water, or (this is generally the worst case scenario) your turtle might have RI (common with water that's too cold/dirty). Is Milo displaying any other strange behaviors?
Jeremiah

Post Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:28 am   Re: 1 of the 2 Turtles won't bask

Is it a continual 12 hours or on and off?
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care