Urgent Care :: Rescued a tiny one today, need help ASAP

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:50 pm   Rescued a tiny one today, need help ASAP

Hey Everyone. New here. I live in an apartment complex and today, the maintenance men were cleaning out a newly vacated apartment. There was a nasty aquarium on the front porch. I asked them if I could have it and they said sure, they were just going to toss it. Once I brought it inside, I found a red-eared slider about 2 inches long, covered in scum, algae, and whatever else.

I need to get a set up immediately and am overwhelmed by what I"m reading. Right now, I've cleaned Millie (that's the name my kids chose even thought i don't know the gender yet), with a soft cloth as best as I could. Her scutes were shedding when I used a soft bristle. I don't know how serious this is, if it's an illness, or what. My girls are dying to play with it but I won't let them yet. Right now, it's still a bit scummy looking but is happy to be swimming and crawled up to bask a bit earlier. I did go buy turtle pellets and tried giving it some of those and some arugula and spinach, a bit of banana. It won't eat.

My set up right now is nothing more than filtered water in a Tupperware cake topper with a large smooth rock and a desk lamp shining on it. I'm taking the aquarium to the car wash tomorrow to try to power spray it clean.

What is absolutely a necessity at this point? The tank....filter....is the gooseneck lamp I have fine for now? I'm in no position to spend a huge amount on this right now. Any help is greatly appreciated. We've never had a pet (long story, we can't have anything with fur bc my oldest has a hair-pulling disorder) and everyone is so excited for the Christmas Turtle. I don't want it to die.
millie_turtleton

Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:31 am   Re: Rescued a tiny one today, need help ASAP

I'm going to a friend's home that raises bearded dragons to pick up a UVB lamp later today.
millie_turtleton

Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:44 am   Re: Rescued a tiny one today, need help ASAP

Was it thin scutes that came up? How does the shell look underneath it?

Don't powerwash the tank, you'll loosen the silicone and it'll leak badly. How big is the tank? Do you have large rubbermaid or sterlite containers? Use those instead of the tank or tupperware.

How does it look otherwise?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:30 am   Re: Rescued a tiny one today, need help ASAP

It probably won't eat for a little while, since it's undergone a major move to a (better!) home. There's really no need for the banana, and the spinach and arugula should be occasional treats at most (oxalates). Better greens include red/green leaf lettuce, and some RES even like bell peppers (though babies don't really eat vegetables, so don't worry if s/he doesn't seem interested yet). What kind of pellets are you using?
Jeremiah

Return to Urgent Care