Urgent Care :: RES suddenly stopped eating and only sleeps

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:28 am   RES suddenly stopped eating and only sleeps

How big is your turtle? 3cm
How long have you had it? 3 weeks

What is the water temperature? 84F
Did you use a thermometer? Yes
Are you using a water heater? No
How much water is in there? About 6cm
Are you using a water conditioner? Activated carbon and Zeolith in the filter
Are you using any filtration? Yes

What is the basking temperature?
Is there a basking light? Yes
Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on? Yes
What kind is it or what is it made out of? Rocks
Is there a UVB light? No, but I take them out for sunshine everyday or two

What have you been trying to feed it? Pellets, kangkung (I don't know the western equivalent of it), dried worms, feeder guppies (live, held by the tail, disabled, even just died)
When was the last time your turtle ate? about 1 week ago, shared a guppy with another turtle

How big is the tank/pond/enclosure? photo attached
Is the tank near a window? No
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity? Moderate

Have you read the Basic Care section? Yes
Have you searched the forums for similar situations? Yes

Is there any other unusual activity/symptoms? No

So,
My baby RES just suddenly stopped eating. Normally she would hog the entire feed and I need to separate her so the others can get their share. She also takes food from my hand, especially dried worms, they're her favourite. But after the guppy, she just stopped eating completely, and has been sleeping the entire time, day and night.

When I take her out for the usual sunbath, she would walk around and be normal but as soon as she's back in the tank - or any other enclosure, she would close her eyes and sleep. She's getting very weak, having difficulties pulling herself up to the basking platform - slept midway, woke up and continue climbing. I tried her favourite dried worm, nothing, wiggling a fish, nothing. I tried leaving her alone for a few days - therefore no sunbathing - nothing. I tried giving her longer time under the sun - with more water - nothing. I tried giving her diluted methylene blue bath - a locally known medicine commonly used for white spots and aquatic animal stress - nothing.

She doesn't have puffy eyes, she doesn't have trouble swimming - just weak, she doesn't have any signs of fungus on her skin, she doesn't have trouble breathing, no yawning, no mucus, she doesn't seem to be bullied by the other turtles, I did saw a little bubble from her nose after I just got her out of the water but afterwards its clean and dry. She has been dry-docking herself unless I put her in water - she then swims a bit to get to the dock again.

As for water quality, I have hard water in my area - hence the water stains - but we filter it before going into the tap and chlorinate the water. Before using the water for the turtles, I let the water sit for 24 hours beforehand, and then pour it from the filter so it passes the carbon and zeolith. I also change the water everyday or two.

Here are some pictures for reference:

Any advice is very much appreciated. Thank you so much.
crazhee

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:55 am   Re: RES suddenly stopped eating and only sleeps

Is your turtle basking? How many other turtles do you have? Can you separate them? How long has it been since she's eaten?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:49 am   Re: RES suddenly stopped eating and only sleeps

She's basking all the time, asleep. I've got 3 baby RES in total. I separated her during the day, I put her in a basin with water and pellets and fish just in case she's willing to eat, but she still sleeps. The last time she ate was about a week-ish ago...
crazhee

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:34 pm   Re: RES suddenly stopped eating and only sleeps

If she won't open her eyes, she won't eat. Have you tried any treats or live prey?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:07 pm   Re: RES suddenly stopped eating and only sleeps

Yes, the dried worms she used to like and feeder guppies (alive, held by the tail, disabled, and freshly dead). She only stared at the worm and didn't even look at the fish...
crazhee

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:44 pm   Re: RES suddenly stopped eating and only sleeps

It might be time to take her to a vet, though I'm not sure how much they can do for her. Have you taken her outside before for some fresh sun and air?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:35 pm   Re: RES suddenly stopped eating and only sleeps

I have, I take her outside every day or two. Once every few days I let her wander around the garden.
crazhee

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:06 pm   Re: RES suddenly stopped eating and only sleeps

Did she perk up outside? Again, her condition will only worsen by not eating.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:50 pm   Re: RES suddenly stopped eating and only sleeps

Yep, it may be due to a sickness
hello there
HelperTurtle123

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:51 pm   Re: RES suddenly stopped eating and only sleeps

I just found out my tinest turtle is suffering from respiratory infection and is still eating but only half a pellet
hello there
HelperTurtle123

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:58 pm   Re: RES suddenly stopped eating and only sleeps

That won't be enough. You might want to try this, get a small container and add some unflavored Pedialyte and mix it with water (50/50) and add some crumbled up pellets. Hopefully she'll eat some when she drinks it and soaks.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:35 am   Re: RES suddenly stopped eating and only sleeps

@steve
She did, but she walked around a little. I'm trying to get some fresh shrimps today, I hope she'd be interested in it.

@helperturtle123
I guess so but what sickness is it and how do I treat it.. Hmm....
crazhee

Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:23 pm   Re: RES suddenly stopped eating and only sleeps

Update :

I tried feeding her some cut-up shrimp and she only looks at it. The other two gobbled it up off my finger but she just stared at it...
crazhee

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:24 am   Re: RES suddenly stopped eating and only sleeps

Have you tried the Pedialyte or look into a vet?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:31 am   Re: RES suddenly stopped eating and only sleeps

I haven't, well I haven't been able to do much though since both my daughters are having chickenpox right now. Howeverrr, I did find out that one of the turtles is a bully - the other healthy one had a scar under her neck and lost one of her nails. So right now I'm isolating all the turtles and hoping for the best.
crazhee

Return to Urgent Care