Urgent Care :: Scratch, shell rot, or infection???

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:11 am   Scratch, shell rot, or infection???

I've had my red eared slider for five years. Her skin started shedding (what seemed like more than average) about a week ago. I've been dry docking her for a few days and the shedding seems to be almost done. My concern is some white scratches (?) that are on her shell. I noticed them a week ago when she was out of the water. Looking back on pictures of her from a month ago, I saw that they were there. In the photo, she was under water and the scratches appeared translucent-ish? Definitely not very noticeable. The scratches haven't seemed to change in size. I don't know what they are. Help please?
Attachments
IMG_3615.jpg
bre22

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:48 am   Re: Scratch, shell rot, or infection???

It looks like some scratches to me. Has she ever been injured before? Anything abrasive in the tank? I'd also remove the gravel and keep the bottom bare or use sand.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:09 pm   Re: Scratch, shell rot, or infection???

steve wrote:It looks like some scratches to me. Has she ever been injured before? Anything abrasive in the tank? I'd also remove the gravel and keep the bottom bare or use sand.

No, she's never had any problems with her shell. I don't think there's anything rough in the tank. I'd take her out in the backyard during the summer, so maybe it happened when she was outside? Should I be worried about them? I'll take the gravel out.
bre22

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:35 pm   Re: Scratch, shell rot, or infection???

I don't think it's anything to worry about now but I would keep the water extra clean and keep a very close eye on that area for any changes. Hopefully a shed or two will clear it up.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:01 pm   Re: Scratch, shell rot, or infection???

steve wrote:I don't think it's anything to worry about now but I would keep the water extra clean and keep a very close eye on that area for any changes. Hopefully a shed or two will clear it up.

Okay, so I don't need to put anything on them?
bre22

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:17 pm   Re: Scratch, shell rot, or infection???

No, if anything give the area a gentle scrub (with a new toothbrush) so you have a clear/clean reference point.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:56 pm   Re: Scratch, shell rot, or infection???

steve wrote:No, if anything give the area a gentle scrub (with a new toothbrush) so you have a clear/clean reference point.

Okay, thank you so much!
bre22

Return to Urgent Care