Urgent Care :: Open head wound

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:17 pm   Open head wound

I came home from work to find an open wound on my turtles head. It looks like perhaps he landed on hos head and his shell dug into his head! I will take him to a vet tomorrow but hat should i do for overnight?? I've had him for 20 years now and he's never been hurt before!!!
~Becky
beforemyway

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:04 am   Re: Open head wound

Oh no! Where do you think it was from
hello there
HelperTurtle123

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:06 am   Re: Open head wound

In the event that it is a limb, face or neck injury where movement causes more injury or more bleeding, you may restrict the movement through any means available. Sometimes, just packing them more tightly in their warm, dry enclosure by adding towels is fine. Sometimes an injured limb can be gently replaced in it's "retracted" position and then the shell wrapped with adhesive tape to hold it in place.
For external bacterial infections, wipe twice daily with hydrogen peroxide followed by a coating in Betadine (read bacterial Infections - external). If kept warm, dry and immobile the wound like most likely NOT develop an infection and mother nature will do the rest.
hello there
HelperTurtle123

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:09 am   Re: Open head wound

I cannot go to the vet as it costs too much so I use medicine from the local store nearby. They don't cost much but unless it's really really serious I advise you to go to a vet
hello there
HelperTurtle123

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:13 am   Re: Open head wound

I hope your turtle gets better soon!
hello there
HelperTurtle123

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:48 am   Re: Open head wound

If its not a deep cut, just clean the area and keep it dry. Maybe even dry dock for a few hours or overnight.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care