Urgent Care :: Missing toes (semi-graphic pictures)

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:50 am   Missing toes (semi-graphic pictures)

We have just adopted 3 new RES, and I'm afraid there are some aggression issues.
They are all females, and one of them picks on the other two. There are some minor scrapes and bites on the two "victim" turtles, but the real concern is the aggressive turtle.

I can only assume the other two have retaliated... Because the poor thing is missing a toe on each foreleg.
ImageImage
(please excuse the cat hairs, she was only on the floor for a second and washed off right after the photo).

I don't know how fresh the wounds are... Somehow the previous owners were unaware their turtle was missing two toes. :/
Do they look like they're healing okay?
Is this an immediate vet visit, or a " apply betadine and keep a close eye on it" kind of situation?

I feel so bad for this poor turtle.
xKitaCat

Post Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:19 pm   Re: Missing toes (semi-graphic pictures)

Poor girls. The wounds don't look that fresh but there does seem like a spot of blood in the second picture. Normally it would be a wait and see but I would take a trip to a vet as a precaution, maybe look into antibiotics as a preventative. That said, housing them will be very complicated moving forward.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:40 pm   Re: Missing toes (semi-graphic pictures)

Thanks for the advice! I'll start looking into a vet tomorrow. The previous owners have graciously offered to cover the bill, since it "happened on their watch". The turtles were well loved despite some husbandry flaws.

I've currently got the injured one in a small quarantine tank. It's so much more peaceful in the main tank with the bully gone. I'm hoping the original two will continue to get along, and we can get a new setup for the troublemaker.
xKitaCat

Post Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:14 pm   Re: Missing toes (semi-graphic pictures)

How good of you and the previous owners! I notice you're in Canada... do be careful as I think they are very strict about RES/turtle ownership up there.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care