Urgent Care :: Baby Red Eared Slider Has Sudden White Patches

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:34 pm   Baby Red Eared Slider Has Sudden White Patches

How big is your turtle? 1.5"
How long have you had it? 3 Weeks

What is the water temperature? 80-82 F
Did you use a thermometer? Built in thermometer
Are you using a water heater? Yes
How much water is in there? 3/4 Full
Are you using a water conditioner? Yes, Chlorine/Chloramine killer
Are you using any filtration? Yes, Zoo Med xp200

What is the basking temperature? Not too sure, very warm to the touch
Is there a basking light? Yes
Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on? Yes
What kind is it or what is it made out of? Large Floating turtle dock
Is there a UVB light? Yes

What have you been trying to feed it? Aquatic Turtle Food, Juvenile pellets
When was the last time your turtle ate? Today

How big is the tank/pond/enclosure? 40 gallons
Is the tank near a window? No
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity? Fair amount, tank is between bedroom living room and bathroom

Have you read the Basic Care section? Yes
Have you searched the forums for similar situations? Yes

Is there any other unusual activity/symptoms? No

Hey guys, new to the board here, read lots of information and i just want the best for my new baby red eared sliders.
I have two of them , purchased at the same time from a local store. I have been unknowingly overfeeding them as the bottle said watch how fast they eat in a short period of time and adjust feeding amount. So now i will feed less.

But I am here because one of them has developed some white/grey patches on his shell. I do a minimum of 80-90% water change every week if not twice a week. Add in water conditioner so theres no chlorine or chloramine and thats it. The tank does not stink, their eyes are very white. VERY seldomly do they rub their eyes, i sit and watch them for at least an hour every day.

There are translucent edges on the scutes on the shell as well if thats helps.
Attachments
20150908_205523.jpeg
20150908_204949.jpeg
20150908_205119.jpeg
20150908_204954.jpeg
coryd25

Post Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:10 am   Re: Baby Red Eared Slider Has Sudden White Patches

Hard to know what that discoloration is but I've seen it before and I don't think it's serious. It might be a bacterial infection that goes away after the first shed. The seams between the scutes look a bit thick, so you might need to cut down on his diet.

Also, instead of a water conditioner, we recommend some activated carbon in your filter, or pre-filtered before it's added into the tank.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:06 pm   Re: Baby Red Eared Slider Has Sudden White Patches

Okay, I'll see what I can fab up or purchase to filter the city water before it reaches the tank. I'll keep a close eye on the little one and keep you updated.
coryd25

Post Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:22 pm   Re: Baby Red Eared Slider Has Sudden White Patches

When I mention pre-filter, I'm referring to a house filter, they're usually inexpensive and easy to use.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care