Urgent Care :: need some shell advice

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:06 am   Re: need some shell advice

What about a cardboard box? What kind of medication are you planning to use?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:19 am   Re: need some shell advice

Boy she was not happy at all in the storage bin......sorry but I can't do that to her....
I have been getting progress with just letting her bask on her own about 80% came off
With her basking at her own free will and I would watch her bask and see it was pealing off.
I would pull out completely dried and take off the loose fungus.
Then use que tips with vita shell, she would sit still and let me do that...

Now I know that vita she'll traps bacteria in her shell I will no longer use that...

Pull her out of the tank and boy she does not trust me anymore ( due to yesterday forcing her to bask )

I put her in the storage bin to dry her completely off ( she was not a happy camper )
I used hydro peroxide 1 to 2 ratio with que tips ( que tips were dirty ) rinsed her in sink with warm water
Repeated the process and the que tips stayed clean some color came back to here shell rinsed her again
Scrubbed with toothbrush with warm water rinsed again
I put her in the tank she wouldn't come to the top so I can give her a reward

Before she would come up to me and splash water sometimes she would make a sound from her mouth.

I will switch her food to the pellets with vitamin E
Thanks everyone
125g habitat
FX6
1 RES 4" "GRUMPY" male
1 RES 3" "CIN" Male
1 ASN 4" "ROCKY" male ( AFRICAN SIDENECK )
1 ASN 4" "VENOM" MALE ( AFRICAN SIDENECK )
Rjs

Post Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:29 am   Re: need some shell advice

Steve I will be going to pet smart and pet co to see what they have to offer for anti fungus

I have been reading on other sites that some people treat turtle fungus same as fresh water fish fungus
Per what they did ; used the fungus liquid on their turtle and treated their tank with it

What do you think of this method?
125g habitat
FX6
1 RES 4" "GRUMPY" male
1 RES 3" "CIN" Male
Rjs

Post Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:15 am   Re: need some shell advice

Can't figure this out I put in a storage container to bask she freaks out.
I put her in her habitat and she basking

Also I have been coating her food with calcium then I put a calcium bone and a calcium round puke with vitamin
She attacked the puke and ate it in 3 days
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
125g habitat
FX6
1 RES 4" "GRUMPY" male
1 RES 3" "CIN" Male
Rjs

Post Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:17 pm   Re: need some shell advice

I had to figure out how to get comfortable will dry docking for how long due I keep her in dry dock?
I have read the whole 10-14 days with every 4-5 hours putting her into water no more then deep as her legs

I also heard only for 4-5 hours per day

Which one is it?

Right now I am just using heating and uvb bulb
Attachments
image.jpg
125g habitat
FX6
1 RES 4" "GRUMPY" male
1 RES 3" "CIN" Male
Rjs

Post Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:13 pm   Re: need some shell advice

That tank is too small for dry-docking. She can't thermoregulate if she gets too warm, in there. Try looking for a little kiddie pool or a plastic tote, like Steve mentioned. I've used both. Whatever you do, just be sure to keep some kind of soft, loose flooring that she can dig into for security (rags, towels, et cetera).

Some people dry dock around 20 hours, and dedicate 4 or 5 hours for swimming/eating/drinking/pooping--but that's usually for deeper fungus. I honestly don't think Peachy's condition is overly bad, so to avoid throwing off her biological clock, I would start by dry docking her overnight (without a lamp, just keep her in a dry container in a room around 70F). She can spend her waking hours in the tank. Just my $0.02, others (like Steve) may chime in with better advice.

I'm not sure what a calcium "puke" is, but if you're talking about the little floating turtle block, they don't really help. Continue to offer greens, even with the Wheat Germ pellets. Steve, I think the medicine Rjs was referring to is Melafix. A lot of keepers use it to heal sores on fish that live with their turtles; it's basically tea-tree oil (an antibiotic). You'd do just as well to avoid the whole medicine-soaking regimen and get some betadine wipes (only for the first 2 treatments), Hibiclens/Chlorhexidine, and silver sulfadiazine cream (unfortunately, that's prescription-only). It's a human burn cream, but does wonders for turtles with shell fungus. Neosporin is widely used, but it didn't seem to be that effective when I tried it.

Just out of curiosity, what does her plastron look like?
Jeremiah

Post Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:15 am   Re: need some shell advice

I know Acriflavine and Maroxy used to be a popular anti-fungus medication for turtle users (I never tried them), I'm curious about Melafix. Nothing can beat silver sulfadiazine cream though.

Hibiclens and Betadine did nothing to the fungus my turtles had/have.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:42 am   Re: need some shell advice

Well peachy didn't like the big tote. She was throwing a fit. I put her in the small tank she is relaxed with now place to cool off I had to put her back in her habitat. She was basking on her own for about 12 hours straight I thought something was wrong with her but she seems to be fine.

Jeremiah my concern is the outer lip of her shell. Her top shell almost all the fungus came off. But the outer lip it's not showing any sign of coming off...

The calcium puke is like a hockey puke it has some vitamins in it. It sinks down to the bottom of the tank.
Calcium is what res needs for this treatment of her shell

Steve I will look into those fungal meds.
125g habitat
FX6
1 RES 4" "GRUMPY" male
1 RES 3" "CIN" Male
Rjs

Post Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:49 pm   Re: need some shell advice

Is this shell sheading?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
125g habitat
FX6
1 RES 4" "GRUMPY" male
1 RES 3" "CIN" Male
Rjs

Post Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:18 pm   Re: need some shell advice

Just the smaller "baby" scutes. Usually this is an indication that the turtle has grown too fast.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:27 pm   Re: need some shell advice

I forgot about Maroxy, but you're right, it's one of the most popular soak-based treatments. Betadine and Hibiclens eliminated a good amount of fungus from my turtles during the times I used them, but I only used Betadine a few times during the first set of treatments, and eventually stopped Hibiclens because it seemed to irritate their shell tissue in "scrapey" areas (which, to be honest, I somewhat expected).
Jeremiah

Post Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:23 pm   Re: need some shell advice

Has anyone used fungus guard it turned my take green( a kool aid lime green )
Attachments
image.jpg
125g habitat
FX6
1 RES 4" "GRUMPY" male
1 RES 3" "CIN" Male
Rjs

Post Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:18 pm   Re: need some shell advice

Never heard of it. Did you use the recommended dose? You might want to check the copper content.
Jeremiah

Post Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:23 pm   Re: need some shell advice

Yes I did 1 tablet per 10g I have about 90-100g of water I put 8 tablets in my tank called the company they said its normal for the water turn green it will go away in 4 days it's the medicine it stops fungus going to other fish I did have to pull out my carbon sponges from my filter it's safe for turtles and fish to be in the tank per manufacturer
125g habitat
FX6
1 RES 4" "GRUMPY" male
1 RES 3" "CIN" Male
Rjs

Post Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:04 pm   Re: need some shell advice

I was just inspecting my turtles she'll on her back left leg the outer rim of her she'll is cracked and ready to fall off its one square and about 1/8" on the edge of her shell I looked on the bottom of her shell (the yellow area) it's not cracked I put light pressure on it and it went down is the normal? She did not fall nor is there anything for her to hit diving off her basking area
125g habitat
FX6
1 RES 4" "GRUMPY" male
1 RES 3" "CIN" Male
Rjs

PreviousNext

Return to Urgent Care